need some metal tubing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some metal tubing, couple of mm thick at most probably,

ID 85mm approx and about 450mm long X2,

anyone know where I could get some, or have some rolled up? [locally-ish] cheaply (?)

its not an exact science just how it is done (or exact dimensions) for my purposes.

Let me guess.

You need to make something for one of your bikes - exhaust covers, maybe? - and you wanted the mangle to use as a bending roll.

When I had my engineering business, we used to buy most of our tube from here although they used to be called Pipe and Tube Supplies Ltd in those days.

Any small tin-bashing firm with a bending roll should be able to make what you want, though.

I suppose I was just hoping someone had a recommendation for a firm round my way ,

I'll try ringing a couple tomorrow, see what sort of prices I get back.

Hi Steps,

Nearest standard size would be 88.9 x 3mm at 6.36KG a metre, probably a bit heavy for what you want.. Next size up would be 114.3 x 3mm

Weird sizes.... but that is steel for you!!

Oh, and it comes in 7.5 or 7.6 metre lengths usually...

john

Last edited by a moderator:
I MIGHT have a spare bit of the 3" dia (nominal 76mm) upright I've just used in making my breakfast bar leg and could easily cut it to two short lengths......but postage to your neck of the woods from Kent might make it worth getting it locally? It's about 5mm wall thickness I think.

SAM_2844.jpg

(Weld WILL have a bit of filler and then the whole thing a couple of coats of black Hammerite!)

should be able to get it from a steel supplier, but they may only sell you a 6 or 7.5mtr length

could try a local fabrication company - they may have some offcuts suitable, or may cut a bit to length for a few

I think that looks like the best option Andy,

will call round a local small engineering works tomorrow and see if they have anything lying about, or can roll me some up.

I MIGHT have a spare bit of the 3" dia (nominal 76mm) upright I've just used in making my breakfast bar leg and could easily cut it to two short lengths......but postage to your neck of the woods from Kent might make it worth getting it locally? It's about 5mm wall thickness I think.
SAM_2844.jpg

(Weld WILL have a bit of filler and then the whole thing a couple of coats of black Hammerite!)
is that a standard size? 3"inside or outside?

if its inside then it may well be almost perfect for my use, 76mm+5mmwall = 86mm total, would be very very close to what Im after, 80-90[95max]

if it is standard then hopefully most places might have a cut-off or two kicking about, actual length isnt major for me, and I can join without any big issues.

SAM_2844.jpg

Breakfast must be fun in your house, do you have an argument each morning who's turn it is to balance their bowl of Corn Flakes on the pole ?

is that a standard size? 3"inside or outside?if its inside then it may well be almost perfect for my use, 76mm+5mmwall = 86mm total, would be very very close to what Im after, 80-90[95max]

if it is standard then hopefully most places might have a cut-off or two kicking about, actual length isnt major for me, and I can join without any big issues.
The stuff in the picture is 76mm OUTSIDE DIAMETER. As someone says the next size up is 88.9mm OD. See here for some standard sizes:

Circular Hollow Section - ParkerSteel

You would be better to adjust your design to suit a stock size as rolling will cost you.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 08:54 ----------

Note the different heights so you dont notice the floors sloping :slap
Used to eat at a cafe in Norwich Market like that, the brakfast counter sloped as the whole site was on a slope. If you had beans or a runny egg you had to eat it quick or stack the toast down one "end" of the plate! "Sue's Cafe" from memory............

thanks OnOff, I could probably get away with 88.9 OD then. :D
Sorry, not got any of that! Presumably then you need a certain size as the two tubes will be set apart and driven be gears or something? Sometimes worth phoning one of the big boy suppliers like Parkers or whoever is up your way and asking if they supply a fabricator near to you. Then it's a simple case of giving some old iron-fighter (sorry, skilled fabricator) a drink!