new AFDD's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray66

Reaction score
Hi, Just wondering has anyone fitted any Consumer units with AFDD's yet, If So which brand did you go for?
Thanks

Interesting take on it from the NIC
Quote from less than a week ago ' they're not there to protect the ring main ( as they won't , they will only protect Spurs. ) They are there to protect what is plugged in"
It's a response to the Grenfell fire which was started by an appliance. Makes you wonder how good they are at detecting faulty applainces? Also makes you wonder if we should ditch ring mains to ensure these things work??

its seems no one is happy about these expensive items which may or may not do what they claim. also I don't like the idea of installing something you can readerly test

The consumer units we use in the UK are not big enough to supply everything by a radial circuit, especially if supplying the white goods on individual radials.

Oh I can see the future, every house shall come with a super sized board as children of the future will not be able to cope if their individual piece of technology suddenly goes off because mums Iron has tripped the RCD, each and every socket on its own Rcbo please!!

Oh I can see the future, every house shall come with a super sized board as children of the future will not be able to cope if their individual piece of technology suddenly goes off because mums Iron has tripped the RCD, each and every socket on its own Rcbo please!!
Actually that's the past revisited, when every room had individual light and socket ccts. Confused the hell out of me when I saw the boards in the house I found that in

It's been a long time since I done a domestic,
But it was every room had 2 radials in it, so if one went down at least one socket in the room still worked,
eg: radial 1 feeding 4 sockets in room A and 1 socket in room B ,
Radial 2 feeding 4 sockets in room B and 1 socket in room C
Radial 3 feeding 4 sockets in room C and 1 socket in room A
That's a very basic example if how to do it
It really is that simple, and that was probably over 10 years ago when I was doing that as a minimum.

It's been a long time since I done a domestic,
But it was every room had 2 radials in it, so if one went down at least one socket in the room still worked,
eg: radial 1 feeding 4 sockets in room A and 1 socket in room B ,
Radial 2 feeding 4 sockets in room B and 1 socket in room C
Radial 3 feeding 4 sockets in room C and 1 socket in room A
That's a very basic example if how to do it
It really is that simple, and that was probably over 10 years ago when I was doing that as a minimum.

The electrical police would be screaming "dangerous" because there are 2 circuits in 1 room;)

The electrical police would be screaming "dangerous" because there are 2 circuits in 1 room;)
Not unusual in Europe to have a three phase supply, supplying three single phase's in one room.
DSC00488.jpeg