"Badged" consumer units .....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, customer has a 13 year old "sector" branded consumer unit with an over sensitive RCD.

Haven't found any new units as yet badged Sector but have found the Wylex equivalent or used units on Fleabay

so new Wylex or used Sector

I think the new product route is better

Thoughts?

Thanks
I have just 'harvested' a similar board with 2 RCDs (Type AC) that tested fine iirc (will check), if you want 1 you can have it just cover postage, but fwiw I think the corresponding Wylex are identical . I wouldn't have a problem fitting one of those and you get the benefit of Type A upgrade .

Compliant with what?
Unless you fit Sector which is a known poor quality brand how is it compliant according to the manufacturer?
Sector was sold by Senate as an own brand, the plastic enclosures were not the best but internals were 100% Electrium / Wylex so not what you could call 'known poor quality'

Up to you if you want to fit a non compatible or used device, your business integrity not mine.
One device for another device with the same British Standard and the same buzz bar measurements is compatible for me.

One device for another device with the same British Standard and the same buzz bar measurements is compatible for me.
It is a "busbar" but that is one naive way of looking at it. As I stated it is your business integrity not mine.

Nanny state fear, and some manufacturers instructions? sigh :rolleyes:.........question things, then make a professional judgement.
I have only experienced the majority of melted CBs that were badly fitted from new, same make. If it fits okay then dolly mix, to a better quality if poss.
As for type AC RCD I think you'll find will be fine in majority of installations. Type A in other DC prevalent. Just note any non-compliance on cert & apply common sense.........or follow Shaun 🐑 and his Farmer's Llama's !