New battery SDS needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
Any recommendations or 'avoid like the fricking plague', please. Looked at Makita Lion single battery and Hitachi NiMh 2 battery, on offer at Screwfix for 199 incl. Only really need it for plugging and occasional 20mm through a wall. Bigger than that and the big guns come out to play. Just want it for the convenience really; old 24v Dewalt is going all moody and I have zapped the batteries until they will zap no more; so it will be a 'burial by ebay' methinks, someone will buy them,,, :innocent :slap

I use the makita 24v, it's good for up to 25mm holes and chiseling out back boxes as long as its not those really hard bricks. Only down side, it is a little heavy . I would also like to know what the makita 18v li-ion is like, if it does what I need for less weight I might get one, especially as I use 18v li-ion drill and impact driver already.

Mikita or Bosch all the way, my 36v Bosch is a beast ! A few lads have had the dewalts and non would buy them again. I read quite a few reviews when I bought mine, and the Bosch came out on top

Steps what sort of price did you pay for it as I'll be in the market for one shortly. I have the Milwaukee 18v reds of impact and HD drill best piece of kit I've invested in.

As for the Makita 18v nice piece, drill upto max 25mm through masonry, at least the one I borrowed did. Only downside I can see is that it is a little long so awkward in tight areas. Bosch 36v lion very good.

We stock Milwaukee power tools, not all of these are shown on the web site but if anyone would like to give me a call i could talk them through the runners and riders (01603 406148)

At the moment we can do a resonable deal on this kit

I've got the Makita 18V one (BHR202). I got it because it uses the same batteries as all the other kit. It is excellent, fills the capability gap between a combi and 240V SDS nicely. Powerful and light. Also does chisel action only (not many other models seem to do this). Highly recommended.

I've got the Makita 18V one (BHR202). I got it because it uses the same batteries as all the other kit. It is excellent, fills the capability gap between a combi and 240V SDS nicely. Powerful and light. Also does chisel action only (not many other models seem to do this). Highly recommended.
Agree!!

I give mine a lot of abuse and it takes it all in its stride and it does supprisingly well for chasing. I use it for chasing out the odd socket, if its a re-wire I get the 240v out. The only downside I can see is that the batteries while they are very powerful do not have a massively long usage time.

Steps what sort of price did you pay for it as I'll be in the market for one shortly. I have the Milwaukee 18v reds of impact and HD drill best piece of kit I've invested in. As for the Makita 18v nice piece, drill upto max 25mm through masonry, at least the one I borrowed did. Only downside I can see is that it is a little long so awkward in tight areas. Bosch 36v lion very good.
deffo go with meggermark for a good price,

thats where I got my Milwaukee combi kit from, cracking deal,

the SDS is hard on batteries even though I have the 3Ah ones, but it is only 18v and it holds its own against the 24v stuff easily,

I really like the fact all the batteries interchange the whole M18 without issues, when funds allow I will get more of their stuff,

quick note about the SDS, there are 2 different ones(that I know of), and one of them doesnt have a quick change chuck, as shown in the youtube I posted.

If you want to hsve a play with my makita let me know kerch, I have the 6 peice lxt kit too. Get the combi stuck in a joist and you'll know about it.

I have 36 volt Bosch and its just as good as a mains drill not cheap though but definitely worth it only downside just had to have the chuck fixed as it fell apart but only cost

Well, as an update/review

I went with the Hitachi 24v sds with rotary stop. Brilliant bit of kit

Lightweight

got over 100 6mm red plug holes in concrete on one charge

Just used it today to put some 25mm holes through concrete 8" thick. Put 12mm pilot through first, 3 25mm holes total and drill was still going on same battery.

Plus side

i have a dewalt set, put a 4 inch core drill through with the 18v sds other day in that new pretend stone stuff. one battery too!

Nice update, and follow on reply however we do have a dedicated revue section if you would like to rate your new tools, this way others can gain from your experiences with your new purchases.

Notice how I refused to call them your tools!

Well almost!