New Part P competent person scheme

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some are still learning English, they should do hairdressing or flower arranging imho and no dolly birds

The Industry is saturated, with around 130,000 people in the trade and 97,000 people every 12 months taking C&G Electrical Instalation exams, even if they are taking three each, it is a massive intake each year, based on Skill Shortage propaganda from the Schemes and the Training industries
But the vast majority of the courses undertaken AREN`T INSTALLATION COURSES, merely regs and maybe "Janet and John" testing ....

philbas,I ain't picking a fight or anything, The point I'm trying to make is that "Electrican" covers a wide range of skills, I expect many in there day to day working may only erect systems designed & tested by others. The Electricans on your course could well be like this, or could well be (as I assume your implying) a set of muppets.
Issue being, the courses are financially controlled - so it behoves the company to pass as many as they can - regardless of capability. Sad, but a true reflection on today`s values in society -

Can't remember the last time anyone died of electricution around my way or in the newspaper locally? in fact never known anyone to die of electricution.Most house fires are chip pans and fags.

However I knew at least two people who died behind the wheel of a car and one who died having been hit by a drunk driver.The driver was a JP and ologist in Medicine

My point is in an ideal world everything should be perfect and everyone should be qualified and proven proven proven, even driving.....it's not practical or acheiveable these days.

The most very best and most qualified and competent of electricians will at some point, use a mobile phone whilst driving,have just 1 beer and then drive,drive whilst on meds that advise not to,nip to the front door just for a second whilst bathing the nipper......

Don't get me wrong I think highly of worldly techs like yourselves but the idea that time served and appreticeships are the only way to get pukka sparks is a ridiculous and pompus statement.

I've known 2 electricians for 25 years and I've used them many times, i trust them cos everything works after they've been and I feel safe.However I wouldn't trust them with my Hampster for the weekend,both a couple of wasters in my opinion.They both came from what would have been my local electricity board,can't remember the name....both done apprenticeships in house.One has no driving licence at the moment for drinking and driving and the others wife just left him because he's an adulterer.Generally they are not competent! are they good electricians? i don't know....

I believe it's all about the individual......

I start my 1 years full time college in Jan as a career move after redundancy, hopefully in a couple of years I will be a domestic installer and start earning again ;)

Don't mean to wind people up but there are a few snobs on here

Timeforchange,

Many of your points are extremely valid, the thing is the way that training is now structured is not conducive to rounded learning and fundamental understanding.

Apprenticeships were "in-house" as you were employed when you did one.

I did an "in-house" apprenticeship, however I had to go to Tech 1 day and 1 evening per week, I had independently "marked" "log books", much like the NVQ portfolio, so things have changed, but some things have just mutated.

As far as the figures with regard to electrical faults go the link below is "interesting"...

Statistics : Electrical Safety Council

Stunned that Still high levels of obsolete trip.RCD is an absolute must. I couldn't bring kids in a house without it

Stroma*Certification*delivers training courses for both entry level and experienced electricians.As a result of changes to Part P of the Building Regulations, local Building Control must now be notified of a significant proportion of electrical works carried out on residential property throughout England and Wales, and a certificate of compliance must be issued to the homeowner.

REGISTERING WITH A COMPETENT PERSONS SCHEME

Once Part P qualified, electrical installers can join a Government approved Part P competent persons scheme. Registration will necessitate an on-site inspection of wiring and testing work to ensure competence. During the inspection, the installer must produce reference manuals, a BPEC Part P full scope certificate and a multi-function electrical tester which is compliant with the requirements of the 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations.

Some schemes also stipulate a current wiring regulations certificate (obtained by completing the City & Guilds 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations course)
From Stroma - CPS Competent Person Schemes | Certification and Training

Just had a look at their website and nowhere on it do they say that they run a Part P competent persons scheme. They only seem to do "part P" courses

There are other trades that have competent person scemes you know;)

I've just copied this from a document at Competent Persons Register | Home

Any electrical work in dwellings: BESCA, BSI, CORGI, ELECSA, NAPIT, NICEIC

Electrical work only in association with other work (e.g. kitchen installations, boiler installations): APHC, BESCA, BSI, CORGI, ELECSA, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC
those seem to be the only scheme operators for electrical work

from Stromas website

The work that is certified is the installation and not the design. The CPS notification confirms that the work undertaken conforms to all the requirements of Building Regulations. This applies to Building Regulations from A to P.
stroma cps

first we have this

Part P Electrical Installations (show/hide)Stroma Certification delivers training courses for both entry level and experienced electricians.

As a result of changes to Part P of the Building Regulations, local Building Control must now be notified of a significant proportion of electrical works carried out on residential property throughout England and Wales, and a certificate of compliance must be issued to the homeowner.

REGISTERING WITH A COMPETENT PERSONS SCHEME

Once Part P qualified, electrical installers can join a Government approved Part P competent persons scheme. Registration will necessitate an on-site inspection of wiring and testing work to ensure competence. During the inspection, the installer must produce reference manuals, a BPEC Part P full scope certificate and a multi-function electrical tester which is compliant with the requirements of the 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations.

Some schemes also stipulate a current wiring regulations certificate (obtained by completing the City & Guilds 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations course)
then just below it

Competent Person Schemes, within residential and non-residential properties.

Joining Stroma Certification

Latest posts