new test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkies2306

Reaction score
Hi guys

Advice needed pls

Have to test a new house its a bank job, a reppo, developer went bust house not fully finished, is now

I have to do a test on this house its a very big one around 10 -12 lighting circuits my prob is most of these recess are gu10 low voltage lamps there is a round 100 of them and the rest are low energy pendants

i want to no should i remove all the lamps before i test

whats your ideas as some of these lamps you need to get a extention ladder to get to them

thanks

You will be doing a PIR so no no need to remove all lamps

Just for IR test connect L an N of together and test to earth.

if you did not do the first part of the install and there for dont want to do a new cert for it then do a pir, the problem may arise if building control want to see a full eci as its a new house, it may be worth ringing them first and explane the situation your in and they should except the pir cert

Hi guys

yes building control needs a new cert not a pir

so whats the best way to do a new test would you remove all and dont you get some sort of reading of these low energy pendants

You will have to ring building control up, explain you did not install it and the company who did have gone bust. Therefore you can do a PIR on the exisiting installation. Its not a problem around here.

If you complete an EIC then your claiming the work to be your own and when doris hangs that picture up and pops her cloggs because the cable isnt in a safe zone, its your name on the cert!

The only way You can give a EIC for this installation is to rip it all out and start again.

You CAN NOT certify someone else's work, unless you have supervised it and inspected it at each stage.

Have You seen where the cables actually run?

Can You confirm they are in acceptable Zones?

Can you confirm holes have been drilled thru joists in the correct position?

If not then you can not certify it.

A PIR is the only document you are able to supply.

If you do supply an EIC then you could be held liable for providing a false document and for any issues in the future. Its Your signature on it.

You will have to ring building control up, explain you did not install it and the company who did have gone bust. Therefore you can do a PIR on the exisiting installation. Its not a problem around here.If you complete an EIC then your claiming the work to be your own and when doris hangs that picture up and pops her cloggs because the cable isnt in a safe zone, its your name on the cert!
Assuming that you are competent, insured and registered to carry out said PIR.......?

Assuming that you are competent, insured and registered to carry out said PIR.......?
well yes thats a given, like having the correct tools and test equipment.

You could use a long form EIC, fill in and sign the testing part.

Then give the Cert. to your employer pointing out the parts for design and installation need filling in and signing.

But the Testing part includes INSPECTION

How can you sign for INSPECTING of first fix stage?

Where's the requirement to be insured and registered to do PIR's come from?

Leaving aside the issue of the legal status in relation to the issuing of the EIC on this particular job, and speaking in general terms then......

For New work [EIC} ALL wiring requires testing ...lamps out swtches closed.

For Inspection & Testing {P.I.R.] Lamps can be left in if agreed with the client and switches opened.......This must,however, be noted on the Limitations box

Mark,

You need to have PII to undertake PIR's.

In doing this you are undertaking intangible work, that is you are offering your professional opinion on the condition of the electrical installation and its suitability for continued use.

PLI will not cover you for this as you are providing Professional Advice, thus you must be qualified and competent to do so and if you f**k it up you'll need PII to cover your a**e as you are acting in a professional capacity.

Paul

Paul,

I understand the desirability of having PII but I didn't know that there had been a legal requirement introduced to have it, nor to be 'registered'.

I understand the difference between PLI and PII.

I also completely understand that various insurance companies won't accept a PIR if not accompanied by the above, that's their prerogative though.

When did the legal requirement to be insured and registered come in?

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

I have not said you must be registered to do PIR's.

You merely have to be competent. Remember HSE have a definition of competence which is well known.

As far as PII goes, this is not a legal requirement either, however, if you don't have this then you are sailing alone and would have to fend off any claims fully out of your own pocket.

You would almost certainly find yourself foul of contract law if you undertook a PIR without competence & PII.

Paul.

Late now,

:good night:

Cheers paul I missread your reply and confused you with OP

My original Q was based on 'professional's reply that insurance and registration was required, and worded in such a way that I thought it had all of a sudden become compulsory, legal and all that.

Just so that I'm not misunderstood, IMO anyone that takes on a PIR of a largish commercial premises without the above must have a screw loose, however a PIR of a simple modern built domestic use house wouldn't stretch the brains of a regular domestic been doing it donkeys years spark, and that PLI is probably OTT for a one off.

Hi Guys

could`nt sparkies2360 do a board change issue a electrical installation cert i know long way round especially on a new installation but wouldnt it tick all the boxes