new testing exam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edeg24

Reaction score
Hi there

Got a call from a London college today asking if I wanted to do the testing inspection exam,then she said they were the last 2391 exams and that there is a new up to date one coming in July 2012

Can any one give me some info on the new exam??

2392 is being replaced by 2394, 2391-10 by 2395 and 2391-20 by 2396. Information is on the C&G website

Search Results

For 2395 the practical assessments are likely to be similar to the current 2391 but so far only a draft assessment guide for centres has been issued.

So will the new exam be easier

As I'm told the 2391 has got a low pass rate .

The reason why it has a low pass rate is its the hardest electrical exam to pass.Ive been testing full time for the last 12 years .Im alway learning and coming across things I've never seen before .It should be made harder not easier by making it multi choice.maybe the C&G are doing it for are European friends who will charge

There are enough to...rs that don't have a clue coming into the trade without making the exams easier i say make them harder.

So 2391-10 is apparently getting easier from the original post. I was one of 5 out of nineteen who took the written exam that passed. So yes the pass rate is low but so is getting selected for the SAS. I'm not saying that I'm anything elite far from it but I knew I had to revise and take as much information in as I could. I was fortunate enough to have done a fair bit of testing on 3ph dist boards. Every week during the course, we would be given questions to answer as homework. I would always find time to do this and the next week it seemed like the same people that didn't do any of the questions. None of them passed!! It's a hard exam as anyone that as done it will know. It will be a tragedy if the guilds are going to make it easier so more people pass who have basic knowledge and charge peanuts to test houses. It makes a mockery out of the profession.

I'm lecturing part time at a college - an engineering course with a bias to electrical installation.

I've got a load of kids who have got good hand skills and aptitude who haven't got a chance of passing any Electricians test due to poor maths and numeracy.

These kids could do a good job and deserve a chance. They need a qualification to show what they can do - rather than what they can't - but there is nothing in any of the exam boards for an electricians mate course - which is where they would be really valuable.

The solution seems to be to make things progressively easier so eventually everyone is classified as an electrician. Colleges are happy with the pass rate - students are happy with passing a course - the net result is the whole profession is devalued!

one of the guys Im working with is booked in and reckons he has been told it is a 20Q multiple choice for the new 2395!! :eek:
According to 2395 handbook it's an on-line multiple guess paper (shared with 2394 the 2392 replacement), written exam and practical assessment

According to 2395 handbook it's an on-line multiple guess paper (shared with 2394 the 2392 replacement), written exam and practical assessment
Correct, the 2395 is not going to be any easier than the existing 2391. The reason colleges are still pumping out the 2391 is as usual C&G have been slow in getting out the new course so the colleges still have set dates for the 2391 from C&G

If you're not competent enough to do the 2391 there's always the 2392 which is an exam that can truly be called dumbed down