newb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robk321

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive recently joined up and this is my first thread. I am another person looking to fast track i am afraid and I know there are many threads on here relating to this. However all circumstances are slightly different so I decided to create my own thread.

Basically , I am fully aware that many old school qualified sparks scoff at the idea of a quick course (eal 17th edition etc).

However , I was wondering if anyone had made it work for themselves as I would like to - that is as an extra source of income doing simple jobs in my spare time. I am not looking to give up my full time employment and therefore day release college or night school is out due to the shifts I work.

What I would like to do is just small things, for example, fitting some spots, or installing a security light here and there,adding sockets for people and even issuing some certificates for landlords I know, but obviously you need certain things to this legally.

I would not attempt jobs I was not experienced enough to do without either passing it on or doing with another electrician. I fully realise just as in any job experience is everything.

I am an experienced d.i.yer and have done electrical work on my own houses before(which I probably shouldn't have!)and am looking to earn a few quid extra a month. I am not bothered if I dont cover the cost of the course in the first year.

Anyway Ive rambled enough, would welcome the input of anyone who thinks this would be feasable or not and the reasons why, or anyone who has done what I have described.

many thanks, rob;)

Welcome to the forum mate. Think they call us 5WW (5 week wonders) lol. Good luck in what you do mate. Just remember youve got the cost of scheme membership to make back before you make any money which is about

mine is supposed to be 4 weeks...........4 weeks of a reasonably intelligent, practical professional middle aged bloke learning how to safely do simple electrical tasks...........if we are being sarky ; -)

Dont forget pl and pi insurance as well as the testers. Its nearly a grand to be pert pee and be legit which means you need to earn

So far its a couple of views that its not really possible to make a small amount of money from doing part time electrical work.

I am not disagreeing , this is the kind of feedback I need before I commit to any training.

Anyone else have any different opinions on this?

Or more of the same would also be interesting.

robk321,

You can make loads of cash from doing part time works, just join the cowboys and don't do any training, don't do certs & don't have any test equipment!

That way you work for cash & your porofit is 100% as it is also not declared for tax.

It seems to be the way of a significant proportion of electricians/electrical contractors these days!

I believe however that this is pants and these people are criminals equal to that of drunk drivers at least if not more so.

Well...

So far its a couple of views that its not really possible to make a small amount of money from doing part time electrical work.I am not disagreeing , this is the kind of feedback I need before I commit to any training.

Anyone else have any different opinions on this?

Or more of the same would also be interesting.
Welcome to the forum robk321. The problem is, how you define a "simple job"? Adding a socket or light is only simple if the existing installation is all up to scratch. This is one of the reasons why many DIY jobs end up a bit of a bodge. As a DIY you are perfectly legitimate to undertake many electrical alterations in your own home. But once you start charging customers money for doing works a greater level of legal responsibility has to be taken on board.

Doc H.

Rob, your story has a similar ring to the way I started out.

I left the industry in 1984,after a four year apprentiship and 5 years fitting, to follow a different career.I have now retired from that job and now returning to electrical work. I went down the Eal route and passed that course. I then took my IEE regs course and passed that. Both courses highlighted the need to be registered with one of the compentent persons scheme. Whether you agree with the thinking behind it or not you really need to get onto it. Otherwise you need to get LABC involved, which make it expensive for your customers.

I have just passed the C&G 2391 and am expecting the inspector from NAPIT shortly to get onto the CPS.

The cost of all this will be about

Canoe,It was tongue in cheek!

There is no smiley for that though!
There is now mate -
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

To do thinks properly and legit, I can't see it being a worthwhile venture part time.

Latest posts