NIC EIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky54

Reaction score
Hi all hope you guys and girls working hard

Just a quick one can one become a Registered niceic tester without doing installation works is this possible ? has I am 17th 2391 and many C & G

please please leave details

thanks

oh the Guinness are on me if you can help

To do testing you do not have to be a member of any scheme. But to use a schemes logoed certificates you need to be a member and meet the membership criteria. I am not aware of any NICEIC membership that is specifically testing only. As far as I am aware approved contractors are automatically covered for use of NICEIC logo's test certificates. But Domestic Installers have to pay for additional assessment to be able to use NICEIC logoed test certificates. Have you tried telephoning them? NICEIC | Contractor | Schemes

Doc H.

Doc,

IMHO you are correct as is Volti above.

I do know of a few contractors who do not do installs but only I&T, they have achieved AC status though due to the competence that they have demonstrated with regard to the compliance of existing installations with BS7671.

I have read the above posts with interests however...

should anyone doing I & T only be covered with some

form of Public Liability Insurance?

I have read the above posts with interests however...should anyone doing I & T only be covered with some

form of Public Liability Insurance?
Indeed, Public Liability will not cover you for your advice or guidance given on a PIR, As Canoeboy said Professional Indemnity Insurance is the cover you need for PIR's. Legally I don't think there is anything stopping anyone doing a PIR without insurance, but it is a big risk you are putting on yourself should it all go head over tails. Especially commercial PIR's, but even in domestic you are not immune to someone making a claim against you. I would have though most electricians doing PIR's would have got a joint Public Liability & Professional Indemnity package of cover. It would be interesting to hear if people consider it cheaper buying them separately or joint?

Doc H.

yes... the Professional Indemnity issue...that was the one

I was thinking about last post...could not remember its name.