NIC Inspection Thursday

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do all the tests you mention abaove and record them in the "Results" section on Schedule of inspections (Column 15 - on the example 'standard forms' in BS7671:2008 or GN3) this shows that you have done the tests.

I also do the r1+rn/4 and r1+r2/4 and put them there too.

If it is a 30mA RCD protecting a circuit equal to/more than32A supplying equipment being used outdoors, I aslo do the x five delta nRCD test and make an extra column and add the result there too.

And Good Luck on your Assessment. :)

Put as much info on your cert as possible, it can be a cover your arse thing in the comments and details section. He may well ask you to do cross over test just to prove you can do it.

They are there to pass you and will help all they can. Good luck with it.

If you are showing him a ring circuit then he will possibly expect you to do a polarity check!

If you take all the tests that are required then he will probably want to see you do each test,,, different tests on different circuits!

Safe isolation is a bigee... must use an approoved GS38 voltage indicator (or something like a Fluke T120)... but not an MFT!

He got me to talk through the ring test (not actually do it). Mind went blank. Sometimes it's not so easy to explain something as it is to physically do it. But I agree with other comments that they ARE there to help you.

Good luck for Thursday - I know how you're feeling.

If you are showing him a ring circuit then he will possibly expect you to do a polarity check!If you take all the tests that are required then he will probably want to see you do each test,,, different tests on different circuits!

Safe isolation is a bigee... must use an approoved GS38 voltage indicator (or something like a Fluke T120)... but not an MFT!
I have a Martindale proving unit which I bought just for this. Will Switch off at main switch, use proving unit, test L-E, N-E & L-N and then re-test GS38 leads on the proving unit prior to doing dead testing. Sound safe?

He got me to talk through the ring test (not actually do it). Mind went blank. Sometimes it's not so easy to explain something as it is to physically do it. But I agree with other comments that they ARE there to help you.Good luck for Thursday - I know how you're feeling.
got me to explain as well as i did not have a ring main on my asssesment.

yer do the L - N cross over as it shows if the ring has been bridge

Well, that is that over and done with. Am now accepted onto the NICEIC DI Scheme Full scope. Only non compliance was that I didn't have the EAW Regs to hand and now have to fax the front copy off to them.

Glad that's it over and done with until next year!

Well, that is that over and done with. Am now accepted onto the NICEIC DI Scheme Full scope. Only non compliance was that I didn't have the EAW Regs to hand and now have to fax the front copy off to them. Glad that's it over and done with until next year!
Congratulation Cirrus. Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

The 'Memorandum on Electricity at Work Regulations 1989' you mean?

Have you got it?

Well done :D Applaud Smiley

Only non compliance was that I didn't have the EAW Regs to hand and now have to fax the front copy off to them.
So they have lost their copy too? :^O Hardly fair picking you up on it then.....

hope you read from cover to cover and fully understood the eaw regs before you faxed it to them.

congadulations,well done

hope you read from cover to cover and fully understood the eaw regs before you faxed it to them.congadulations,well done
lol. Erm, of courseBlushing

Cheers guys - and thanks for putting up with the various questions from me over the last couple of weeks. Belt and braces ensured I won in the end.