nic or part p

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodaire

Reaction score
if i join the nic does it allow me to sign off work in domestic properties or do i need to join a part p scheme as well.

can anyone give me a rough idea how much nic or part p costs to join and how much to stay in per year

if i join the nic does it allow me to sign off work in domestic properties or do i need to join a part p scheme as well.can anyone give me a rough idea how much nic or part p costs to join and how much to stay in per year
?

Part P is a building regulation.

NICEIC,

ELECSA

ESA

BSI

NAPIT

are all electrical contracting bodies who keep registers of their qualified electricians, who are annually assessed as to their competence and are approved to do various levels of work.

All of the above are recognised scheme operators approved by Part p building regulations to allow self certifying of Domestic work that is within the scope of Part P building regs.

Typical fees are around

The NICEIC run 2 schemes

1. Approved contractor----this is the main scheme which covers all types of work (industrial, commercial & domestic), this is the scheme that councils etc want you to be in!

2. Domestic installer----this level of membership is split into two, one level for plumbers who do a bit of electrics (limited scope) and another level for electricians who work mainly in the domestic sector

If you joined as an AC then you get the DI add on as AC is a higher level. Both schemes allow you to notify Part P jobs

I'm a DI and it costs about

Im in the same boat but I havent got my 2391. Do I need that for domestic? I am a JIB reg with 17th though. I you find anything could you about if you need part p could you reply pls. Thanks ste

i am astounded by the level of confusion surrounding part p, most people seem to think that its a qualification! Building regulations are divided up into sections with letter headings. part p is the section dealing with electrical installation. you need to either notify the local building control before you start work, and pay their fee ( by which you need no electrical qualifications whatsoever as your work will be inspected at various stages and tested and certificated upon completion), or register with on an approved scheme (eg NIC). the advantage of the approved scheme, is that once you have met their requirements, you can issue certificates for about a fiver a throw, (albiet you have paid