Loop App-Turn down & save anyone?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldman22

Reaction score
I have since last Autumn been using a free app from Loop to view my smart meter info in my phone. In November they emailed to say they would be participating in the National Grids "turn down & save" where you reduce your electrical use for a set period of time and the grid pay you for saving them demand in peak periods. I have no connection with Loop btw they are not my energy supplier.
I am quite a frugal user anyway so dropping my usage at peak times is not easy, but I still manage by shifting meal times on the specified day & hour to get paid near £2.50 by reducing my use 900watts or so.
OK its not a lot but that's around 7kw at todays prices.
Like I said I'm frugal anyway but I have still managed with little effort to earn £17 so far.
I realise that Loop are also making probably as much as me from this scheme, but hey its free money.
You need a smart meter and give them permission to remote read it to join the scheme. Other energy suppliers may also be offering similar schemes. Next one is tonight so too late to join but they seem to be weekly, there has been 2 this week.
https://loop.homes/turn-down-and-save/

There is nothing currently that would persuade me to have a smart meter fitted
I agree at the moment but I'm watching developments with interest.
Reducing peak demand is the primary motive but I can't help thinking that "selling" smart meters is a significant secondary aim.
Once a critical proportion of users are equipped then the present charging/rebate principle will be turned on its head with heavy surcharging at peak demand times.
The next step will be to bully those of us who have so far resisted into accepting the smart meters by imposing punitive tariffs on dumb meters.
I will wait and see unless I decide to invest in battery storage first.

My MIL had smart meters fitted about 10 months ago. They’ve never worked and the supplier is useless.

She could read the old meters but not the new ones.

Why install kit that doesn’t work 🤔

Mine was installed in 2014 and has always worked fine, I can even download the data from it if needed. As to reading it, for most people there is no need as they are read remotely for billing. A few seconds with a camera phone and a finger to press button 9 and you have a record of the reading should you wish. I cant see any reason to think they are the devils spawn ;)

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts