niceic assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lineman

Reaction score
Ok bit of a bone question and I apologise for this. I am currently employed and looking to start out on my own I have no quarms with the assessment itself but am concerned with the jobs to be assessed. As I am employed I do not wish to commence just yet seeking business due to conflict of interest and going into competition with my employer. So my question is this; is it feasible to have my assessment work to be in my home with one notifiable and one minor works but finished on different dates? If this has been covered before on the forum I apologise.

As above, your home could be used as one of the jobs to be assessed, this would be the ideal place to show your major job. Another location could be a member of your family or a neigbour. This is common for first time assessents for reasons such as yours and is accepted.

The jobs have a max of 20-30 miles between them at most I think.AndyGuinness
There's no mileage ever quoted. Its the time as you have paid for the days assessment and it will cost you more if it runs over. You also have to take the assessor around in your own transport. I dropped a clanger this year as after chatting for a few minutes i passed him my insurance and said i suppose you want this first and he replied ' Usually its tea and biscuits' ; \

my 2 jobs used to be in the region of 15-20 miles apart and they wouldnt do them on 1day visits, simply because it was about 1&1/2-2hrs each way between them.

can you imagine a 10mile journey through London!!!

they like 20min journey times if at all possible,

sometimes Ive only had to show one address,with perhaps 20 or so different jobs on it he could look at, large warehouse with com/ind and domestic(almost, in the offices), and sometimes they were happy with just that one.

Its always best to ask first. We showed a block of 8 flats we had just completed. He would only look at one flat as in his words 'they are all the same'. However he did except the landlords supplies as a 2nd job as they were quite extensive and different (this was for a AC ) Another year i took him to a house where we had wired up some dog kennels. He remembered the address from looking through our paperwork and as we had done 3 seperate jobs at different times through the year he accepted them as 3 jobs (luckily i had my laptop with me so he could refer to the test sheets)

Last edited by a moderator:
One final question on the assessment. After 6+ years with my employer I never needed to worry about LABC notification as this was done for me. With the assessment install is it feasible to square the notification away after assessment is complete at the scheme providers rate or do I do it upfront and pay full whack. My guess is to contact LABC beforehand and explain and hope they accept post complete notification. Just a point to note I'm not expecting forum members to spoonfeed me advice but appreciate replies. Thankyou

Contact your local building control, take photo copies of your certificates and explain to them that you have applied to be enrolled with the NICEIC and will use two notified jobs as your assessment. They will keep your certificates on file, as they did before part p was introduced, and will I am sure waive any fee providing that you submit those jobs as your first jobs notified through the compatant persons scheme.