Night School Electricians

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Having seen mixed views from various people id just like to ask. If a person attends these night college courses to get their papers put every effort into learning and picking knowledge when and wherever they can, are they actually going to get any respect at the end of it or just be bunched in with the rest as a numpty?

depends how much they put into it.... some just do the course, (barely) pass and think they know it all - others wil put the time/effort into it, do their own research, try and get the work experience etc - those will get much more respect than the numptys

depends how much they put into it.... some just do the course, (barely) pass and think they know it all - others wil put the time/effort into it, do their own research, try and get the work experience etc - those will get much more respect than the numptys

as I feel perhaps this was aimed slightly sideways at me,

Ive copied and pasted to make the point twice,

cos that is exactly the way I feel,

you will NOT be a spark after you have done your exams, that takes years to learn,

knowing how to wire a house dont make you anything more than someone reading a diy book, knowing why things are done the way they are is what makes you better.

and more so, knowing why things arent done in certain ways makes you better.

no point knowing you need an earth, if you dont know when it is more dangerous to take one with you than to make your own. !.PME.!

IMHO, its more important to learn, than to simply believe what you have been taught.

you will NEVER ever feel what 3phase without a Neutral feels like by reading a book, (I hope none of you ever actually do know what it feels like!), but its really not nice even getting a back slap of it!

respect is something you will never learn at school,

BUT,

its the only thing that keeps you alive in this game.

my good wishes to all, and I dont mean to **** those whom I havent yet met, I can only speak of my own personal experiences so far to date.

:)

I wanted a change of career, being 28 night school was my only option if I wanted to be an electrician. As for experience, doing the 2330 I think you only get the basics as it is mostly theory. But in these times gaining on site experience is easier said than done.

Hopefully I would like to think that future employees would look positively on the fact I invested my own money and time into becoming an electrician.

You can't knock people for trying to better themselves.

Tim

Anyone who tries their hand in this game gets my respect.

Night school will give you a good solid base on which to grow, you must do this by practical experiance.

There really is nothing that will teach you better than on the tools,and learning the best way from someone who has more experiance.

I have had young lads who know all the basics but cant wire a plug!

I have had electricians mates who have done the job for 15 years or so and can run rings around some electricians.

So in answer to your original post everyone gets respect on here, its where we dont pull punches and tell it as it is.

Anyone who tries their hand in this game gets my respect.Night school will give you a good solid base on which to grow, you must do this by practical experiance.

There really is nothing that will teach you better than on the tools,and learning the best way from someone who has more experiance.

I have had young lads who know all the basics but cant wire a plug!

I have had electricians mates who have done the job for 15 years or so and can run rings around some electricians.

So in answer to your original post everyone gets respect on here, its where we dont pull punches and tell it as it is.
taught me for my first year, when I was able to do my first house start to finish then I was took under a sparks wing to learn how/why things were done a certain way, but not until I knew what to do, and how to do it did I learn why. simple basics of respect I think sometimes, do it, then you will be told why, respect and trust. perhaps something the members on this forum have that is sadly lacking elsewhere in the industry.

Having seen mixed views from various people id just like to ask. If a person attends these night college courses to get their papers put every effort into learning and picking knowledge when and wherever they can, are they actually going to get any respect at the end of it or just be bunched in with the rest as a numpty?
Personally I think any individual who has invested their own personal money and time to attend a college during the evening to attain a industry recognised national qualification deserves respect.

And WELL DONE to everyone who has gained qualifications this way...

Its hard graft, going out during pi55ing down dark winter nights, and sitting in a classroom during summer evenings when you would rather be at the pub!

I can remember attending evening class during an England match at one of the Euro championships! :( not an easy choice!

But also remember there are two aspect to this and many other trades..

Technical knowledge and practical experience... BOTH are needed to be successful.

College evening courses tick the first box very well IMHO! ;) :D

The second has to be worked on separately! ;) :)

Im not knocking anyone who has invested a lot of time and money into night school to becoming a qualified electrician,

but you will not be a spark untill you had your balls fried on a disconnected N from a 3PH,

if I have got it correct admin is going to arrange for me and SL to get this set up for all the NOOBS,.!

come the get together,.

Im not knocking anyone who has invested a lot of time and money into night school to becoming a qualified electrician,but you will not be a spark untill you had your balls fried on a disconnected N from a 3PH,

if I have got it correct admin is going to arrange for me and SL to get this set up for all the NOOBS,.!

come the get together,.
Damn - I'm on call that night....................

Im not knocking anyone who has invested a lot of time and money into night school to becoming a qualified electrician,but you will not be a spark untill you had your balls fried on a disconnected N from a 3PH,

come the get together,.
It sounds like one of those initiation ceremony's, like crossing the equator for the first time :eek:

Patch I think I'm on call too!! Pray

wtf you plan to shock people???? well i suppose the pink tutu and the horse will do that..... Guiness Drink Guiness Drink Guiness Drink Guiness Drink maybe too much to drink???

come the get together,.
If you keep frying your ******** in this way may I suggest a course at night school to teach how to do it without the toasted testies! ;) :

Incidentally, I've done it in various ways. Back in the 70's when I was young and electricity didn't hurt so much I played with it! As I got older I became more adventurous new circuits etc. Next was rewiring my sisters house.

I fully admit I new nothing of Ze etc or much in the way of testing the rest. I new the theory of why I earthed, continuity and loading etc but little else.

Since then I've read many books and completed the DEI, 17th Edition and PAT course. (Don't ask about PAT, probably never do it now I know).

I also have all the required test equipment at a cost of some

It must be the worst possible way to learn a trade , that is, doing a short course at college I guess that,as with kids doing their Stats, you are being taught to pass the exam but are not really learning the trade. This government thinks if you have a piece of paper you are an expert. Some of you will now be more qualified than I am, I've only been at it for forty odd years but do not have my 17th where some of you guys do.

Perhaps there should be a grade for becoming a sparks in this manner.

It must be the worst possible way to learn a trade , that is, doing a short course at college I guess that,as with kids doing their Stats, you are being taught to pass the exam but are not really learning the trade. This government thinks if you have a piece of paper you are an expert. Some of you will now be more qualified than I am, I've only been at it for forty odd years but do not have my 17th where some of you guys do.Perhaps there should be a grade for becoming a sparks in this manner.
yes, its called a week course

It must be the worst possible way to learn a trade , that is, doing a short course at college I guess that,as with kids doing their Stats, you are being taught to pass the exam but are not really learning the trade. This government thinks if you have a piece of paper you are an expert. Some of you will now be more qualified than I am, I've only been at it for forty odd years but do not have my 17th where some of you guys do.Perhaps there should be a grade for becoming a sparks in this manner.
You are right of course, we were taught to pass but I was lucky and my instructor did give the impression he cared.

The fault here with all of this could be laid at the governments door. Only those of you in the trade pre Part P can truthfully comment on whether it was really needed. Was it?

The fact remains it's in now. We have to live with it and get by as best we can. I'm one of the new ones, I had intended to get into this game when I left the RN anyway. Part P has at least ensured I have acquired some qualifications.

As someone who started as a Craft apprentice early 70s and had to do exams upto the 16th edition,not fussed about the 17th at the moment.

I still have to advise contractors today on aspects of the wiring Commercial.

You cannot beat experience but still try to pass it on to the young ones.

Good luck to all who are in the trade at the moment just completed 30 days at risk and still have a job.Restructuring is the buzz word at the moment.

You are right of course, we were taught to pass but I was lucky and my instructor did give the impression he cared. The fault here with all of this could be laid at the governments door. Only those of you in the trade pre Part P can truthfully comment on whether it was really needed. Was it?

The fact remains it's in now. We have to live with it and get by as best we can. I'm one of the new ones, I had intended to get into this game when I left the RN anyway. Part P has at least ensured I have acquired some qualifications.
The simple answer is in theory yes part p looked like a good thing, I for one thought that it would end all the cowboy jobbers doing some pretty dangerous work.

As it now stands there have only been an handfull of cases brought to court I would have expected a lot more.

The main contention I have is the limited scope which allows kitchen fitters and plumbers to do their own electrical work, if they stuck to their own work everything would be fine but I have had personal experiance of a kitchen fitter quoting for a new cu, totally out of his scope but because he has registered on the limited scope he thinks this makes him competant.

Another thing about part p is the fact that some local building authorities know nothing at all about the regulations or the willingness to prosecute or enforce the regulations.

Until the government enforce part p we will have to pay an anual fee for a scheme that in my opinion makes no difference.

The simple answer is in theory yes part p looked like a good thing, I for one thought that it would end all the cowboy jobbers doing some pretty dangerous work.As it now stands there have only been an handfull of cases brought to court I would have expected a lot more.

The main contention I have is the limited scope which allows kitchen fitters and plumbers to do their own electrical work, if they stuck to their own work everything would be fine but I have had personal experiance of a kitchen fitter quoting for a new cu, totally out of his scope but because he has registered on the limited scope he thinks this makes him competant.

Another thing about part p is the fact that some local building authorities know nothing at all about the regulations or the willingness to prosecute or enforce the regulations.

Until the government enforce part p we will have to pay an anual fee for a scheme that in my opinion makes no difference.
it was a government idea, so it was set for failure from the start. it was never about saving lives or anything, it was always about the money

just to show how much of a waste of time it is, as you say, kitchen fitters/gas engineers etc can do a short course and become 'qualified electricians'. im yet to see a 'short course' that will make me a qualified gas engineer

Fortunately that hasnt been the case for us, our tutor works in the trade all day then teaches at night, he often goes away from the course guidance so that we get real scenarios not just whats in a book.

Still have to learn whats in the exams but we also get alot more practical knowledge than what the other classes are getting. Not the best entry route into the trade but ive started so ill finish it.

it was a government idea, so it was set for failure from the start. it was never about saving lives or anything, it was always about the moneyjust to show how much of a waste of time it is, as you say, kitchen fitters/gas engineers etc can do a short course and become 'qualified electricians'. im yet to see a 'short course' that will make me a qualified gas engineer
Well said.

I have been in this game nearly 40 years and I am still learning;\