No main earth at all.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
Been to a house today and there is no main earth at all.

There is an MET and main bonding in 10mm but no main earth.The supply comes from an overhead line but does not appear to be a tns or tncs or tt.I contacted Energy supplier and they said they would have to do a PME check and could take from 5-10 Woking days. Is this normal or should I put an earth rod in. Customer said it's been like that for years.

Did you get any Ze readings at all? Even if it was via the neutral ? I have booked all "non" earths as an emergency and I have had them out right away, but I will always give them a reading so that they know it is way off scale. I would not rod anything unless absolutely sure of the lack of earth and the projected dangers, without prime RCD protection to incommer it could be more unstable.

I had this exact situation couple of years ago. House was maybe 20 years old but 10mm bonds and no main earth. Best to bang a rod in till a decision is made.

As above do ZE check, then look for stranded wire that looks like steel without green or Grren/yellow stripes, as in very old earth connections. If in doubt, RCD and Rod it

Cheers guys, I was only there tonight to look at a job and was checking bonding etc when I noticed the lack of main earth,am going back tomorrow to check it out properly.Will let u know how things go.

really old supply from an overhead???????????

is it rural????????????

very possibly TT at some stage that has been disconnected or simply rotted away,

or perhaps even been off an old lead water main.

I would suspect the latter, but, as has been said enquire as to what the DNO have to offer you.

my first inclination would be to install a proper TT,

but its not everyones preferred method.

Hi all, been back today. After a good dealing hunting around I finally found an earth rod although the main earth cable was only 6mm as well as the main bonding to the water supply. I installed a new rod with a 16mm earth cable and main bond to water (no gas). In place was a 16th edition board with only 2 lighting circuits on the non rcd side, these were replaced with rcbo's so all circuits are rcd protected. After that I then supplied a circuit for a new immersion heater which was the job I was looking at in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Had two premises with same issue this week. DNO state they no longer are required to provide any earthing but would provide PME for