No Part P Certificate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never didn't understand.

you proclaimed to want to help them as they were an old couple, so we have offered options as to what you could've done, some which would have helped by keeping the expense to a minimum to help you help the old couple, by your own admission you replaced the new board with a newer board so can only deduce that you charge the same for an eicr as you do for a full board change? 

As has been suggested a plastic board installed at the time was reg compliant so therefore a simple confirmation with a satisfactory eicr would be sufficient? 

But I suppose, providing your elderly customers were happy to pay then no harm done! 
Hallelujah.

From your first post  you asked what to do, from  the information   you gave in that post the answer is,  do nothing.

Others are stating, the customer was charged twice for the same job, only once by you but still twice.

Out of interest, did the installation have any red & Black cable colours ?

From your first post  you asked what to do, from  the information   you gave in that post the answer is,  do nothing.

Others are stating, the customer was charged twice for the same job, only once by you but still twice.

Out of interest, did the installation have any red & Black cable colours ?
Yes it did, and I believe they said I charged them twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
How I see this thread is....

A dodgy "electrician" carried out some work including a replacement consumer unit (to the regs at the time) and didn't certify or notify it.....Right ripped them off

Then you turn up,,, carry out some further works, replace the "compliant consumer unit", certify and notify the job and charge them for the work that you did.

Why replace e consumer unit that didn't necessarily need replacing????? that, by some, could be seen as ripping someone off

How I see this thread is....

A dodgy "electrician" carried out some work including a replacement consumer unit (to the regs at the time) and didn't certify or notify it.....Right ripped them off

Then you turn up,,, carry out some further works, replace the "compliant consumer unit", certify and notify the job and charge them for the work that you did.

Why replace e consumer unit that didn't necessarily need replacing????? that, by some, could be seen as ripping someone off

How hard can it be to grasp? I changed the consumer unit because that is what they wanted me to do. Why are you not able to understand that?

So... did they just come out and say "could you please change our consumer unit",,,,,, or was there a discussion between you and them as to how it could be certified/notified before hand,,, with you saying that the only way that you could certify it would be if you'd carried out the work yourself????

So... did they just come out and say "could you please change our consumer unit",,,,,, or was there a discussion between you and them as to how it could be certified/notified before hand,,, with you saying that the only way that you could certify it would be if you'd carried out the work yourself????

Have you not read the other posts in this thread? If not then I suggest you do.

How hard can it be to grasp? I changed the consumer unit because that is what they wanted me to do. Why are you not able to understand that?
It's what they wanted, because you sowed the seeds of doubt by telling them that we now have to fit metal CU's. Rightly or wrongly you scared them into thinking that the CU fitted 2 months ago was somehow dangerous.

I am sorry but that is taking advantage.

I am not defending the first electrician who should at the very least have tested it properly and issued an EIC even if nothing else. BUT just because there was no paperwork does not automatically mean the replacement CU was fitted badly or in any way dangerous.

Did you find any faults with the installation that you had to correct before fitting your replacement CU? or was it in fact all okay except for the lack of paperwork?

And did you explain a metal CU is just as likely to catch fire, because putting it in a tin box has not addressed the reasons why it might catch fire, just merely tried to contain the fire, and it would appear that may not in fact work.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's what they wanted, because you sowed rthe seeds of doubt by telling them that we now have to fit metal CU's. Rightly or wrongly you scared them into thinking that the CU fitted 2 months ago was somehow dangerous.

I am sorry but that is taking advantage.

I am not defending the first electrician who should at the very least have tested it properly and issued an EIC even if nothing else. BUT just because there was no paperwork does not automatically mean the replacement CU was fitted badly or in any way dangerous.

Did you find any faults with the installation that you had to correct before fitting your replacement CU? or was it in fact all okay except for the lack of paperwork?

And did you explain a metal CU is just as likely to cartch fire, because putting it in a tin box has not addressed the reasons why it might catch fire, just merely tried to contain the fire, and it would appear thay may not in fact work.
I didn't realise you was there, was you hiding in the kitchen cupboard?

why did they want it changed again?

if someone asked me to replace a CU that had recently been installed and was fully compliant then i would change it, but only after making it clear that it is fully compliant and replacing it will not be on any benefit

I got called to quote a job last week as the EICR found some faults,

#1 was something along the lines of - 

C1 plastic fuseboard non compliant as these have been decided to catch fire due to unknown circumstances, must be changed to a metal fusebox 

Yes, it did say fusebox on the cert, it was a hager HI with 2x RCBOs and 2x RCDs, 

:shakehead

if someone asked me to replace a CU that had recently been installed and was fully compliant then i would change it, but only after making it clear that it is fully compliant and replacing it will not be on any benefit
This is getting Silly now.

Ok No1, (personally I think you dealt a No2), please demonstrate with quote whereby someone here stated that YOU charged twice? 

Secondly as clearly stated by our learned members there were other areas that were not compliant with current regs which you chose to ignore or did you explain to this vulnerable couple that the colour of their cables was non compliant, probably not why because you thought that was ok however a plastic consumer unit wasn't? So in your own admission the board needed to be changed as it wasn't compliant IYO, but the old cables were compliant so didn't need to be changed? 

And yes this is getting silly, you completely fail to see the error? 

That is the professional stance I would expect most to take.

Latest posts