No Rcd on sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Blue

Reaction score
Out of interest

How many of you guys would give an unsatisfactory to a PIR if the only

discrepancy was no RCd protection on sockets that are likely to supply

portable equipment.Bear in mind that these are generally student lets so

the chance of any work nevermind work outside being carried out are

remote. However guidance is a code 2 which in turn would be as is my

understanding an unsatisfactory.

This is an interesting question really. Yes as you say it could be a code 2 which would mean an unsatisfactory result for the PIR, or a code 4 which would be satisfactory. However there are some very serious observations you should also consider. The landlord should be doing everything in his power to prevent harm or injury to his tenants, as most students will in the best tradition of learning, experiment in their rooms, I would prefer to assess the risk of shock as very probable. This would be compounded by having cooking facilities, ie bedsits with kitchenette. All codes given for any PIR are not only due to the results of any testing, but also on the testers risk assessment, and any observations that you the tester believes would or could become an issue.

What is the possibility of the student taking an extension lead out on to the overgrown lawn to power a ghetto blaster along side the blow up pool full of beer when they have their summer rave?

What is the landlords inspection regime?

What are the chances of any damage being found between lets?

What are the chances of one of the students being on an engineering course and doing some practical experiments in their let?

What are the chances of one of the students being on a science course and doing some practical experiments in their let?

What are the chances of one of the students being on a catering course and doing some cooking in their let?

What are the chances of the students being very careless with their electrical equipment and the installation and something getting damaged before the next inspection?

What are the chances of any of the students being remotely safety aware or especially electrically aware?

Shall I go on?...

My RA would be a 2 with a good explanation as to why, thus unsatisfactory!

Just remind the landlord of his legal duty of care under civil law and his liabilities and there are a couple of other pieces of statute legislation that you can throw in!

Very well put sidewinder, better explanation of a risk assessment than I would have given.

Seeing as you put it like that Sidewinder I agree with you.

I have been asked to carry out a few mods on a student let with the carrot of 40 more properites blah blah vlah.

Basically an extra socket and move a light switch a metre or so.

I checked the bonding but noted no RCD protection on any circuits and thought this is probably a regular occurrence with

electricians. and wondered what they would do IF carrying out a PIR. I think bottom line is student lets on the whole are

in poor shape So Rcd protection is best.

Glad I could help, I do try my best!

I just try to get you all thinking sideways or outside the box as it were.

AKA FMEA!..

Those of an automotive persuasion will understand ;)

I have been asked to carry out a few mods on a student let with the carrot of 40 more properites blah blah vlah.Basically an extra socket and move a light switch a metre or so.

I checked the bonding but noted no RCD protection on any circuits and thought this is probably a regular occurrence with

electricians. and wondered what they would do IF carrying out a PIR. I think bottom line is student lets on the whole are

in poor shape So Rcd protection is best.
Surely if you're putting an extra socket in this would need to be RCD protected?

Somewhat hypocritical to code 2 existing sockets, yet install a new circuit and just note lack of RCD on the cert.

I think I would still code 4 it, yet strongly recommend to the landlord one (or 2!) be installed.