Not Much Interest In The New Regs Book Poll I See.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blimey , thought there'd be more than that !!

Is it just the Self Employed that have to buy one then , well I suppose it is .    Looks like we're all paying top dollar then .

I would have liked a discount!!

I am employed contrary to what some people may believe, but I always buy my own standards and definitions. My employer pays nothing towards them, so they are mine and all mine.

unfortunately its only the people who want to do the job correctly that get them when they change. others will only get them when they need to (to pass an assessment), and others probably dont even know its upto 17th yet...

People don't see a bargain when they are offered one.  I've just searched on ebay and the best price for AMD 3 is £74 plus £4 postage

TBH...

Unless the saving was a more significant amount, (e.g. 50%),  then it don't make a fat lot of difference to me, my business or its daily running costs.... 

Anybody running their own business ought to include their overheads into their costings...

to me regs is just one of those overheads...

and compared to a lot of other business and trades it is a relatively small amount...

a modest £5.00 extra per week on your invoices..

even if only working 30weeks per year..

gives £300 every two years.... 

I always cost my jobs on three key elements..

Labour:  how long the jobs takes x by my hourly rate.

Materials:  how much the materials cost x any mark-up.

Admin:  a nominal amount added to every job, (typically from £5.00 to £50.00), to cover, fuel, insurance, certification, ink, paper, postage for sending quotes, Part-P notifications, any updates to documentations, wear & tear on tools  etc.. etc..

e.g.

£25 per job... only 3 jobs a week...  for 20 weeks of the year gives..  £1500 per year toward admin.

or

£20 per job.... 4 jobs a week...  for 30 weeks of the year gives...  £2400 per year toward admin.

or

£15 per job.. 5 jobs a week..  for 40 weeks of the year gives..  £3000 per year toward admin.

or

£10 per job.. 6 jobs a week.. for 50 weeks of the year gives.. £3000 per year toward admin.

etc..

etc..

etc..

How hard is it to work your costings to cover your overheads?.

So I can't see why any reasonably successful trade person cannot cover their overheads with the funds raised from their jobs ..??

At least most electricians don't have to rent a shop on the high street..

Or have loads of stock in the shop window (that they may or may not sell) for prospective customers to come and view...

Or have to pay heat & lighting costs 6 days a week and stand in a shop just waiting even if customers don't come in..

Or have to worry about perishable stock such as food outlets..

IMHO..

self employed electricians actually have quite low overheads compared to some other businesses...

£80 every 2 years is 77p per week!

ffs I probably spend more than that on beer... per day!!!

:C

I absolutely agree with the sentiment SL. There should be absolutely no reason why a successful business shouldn't be able to afford £80 for the book. That said (as a Yorkshireman!) if I can save 20-25% then I am keen to do so. I forget who said it, but the phrase "look after the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves" springs to mind.

I'd rather have the £20 left in my pocket at the end of the day. Do that once per week and you've 'made' and extra £1000 profit in the year......

I absolutely agree with the sentiment SL. There should be absolutely no reason why a successful business shouldn't be able to afford £80 for the book. That said (as a Yorkshireman!) if I can save 20-25% then I am keen to do so. I forget who said it, but the phrase "look after the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves" springs to mind.

I'd rather have the £20 left in my pocket at the end of the day. Do that once per week and you've 'made' and extra £1000 profit in the year......

Agreed £20 in my pocket is nice...

and the sentiments of the suggestion in the first place was good..

But...

some poor sod on behalf of the forum will end up packing and posting regs books out to other members..

probably in their own time..  for no renumeration..

Just so I can have £20..   that I could have one of my customers pay me for anyway!!!

My personal feelings and thoughts are that...

the voluntary effort & work of someone from the forum -vs- my savings

is just exploiting someones goodwill for a negligible saving for myself.

I'd rather save someone else the burden of doing unpaid work on my behalf and just pay some other supplier to do the same job for not much more. 

IF..

there were a large group who lived close to each other..

and could personally go and collect the regs books from one member who had done a bulk order..

then that IMHO would be a different proposition...

But..

I hate packing and posting stuff back to suppliers ..

and I have been very busy for the past few months..

and as I personally wouldn't have time to pack and post books to others...

So to expect someone else to do packing and posting to me is a of a cheek IMHO. 

:popcorn

Blimey , thought there'd be more than that !!

Is it just the Self Employed that have to buy one then , well I suppose it is .    Looks like we're all paying top dollar then .
Looking at the statistics at the moment the thread has had 346 views with only 15 definite responses. (less than 5%).  If we need at least 50 copies, on those ratios we need around 1150 views, or 800+ more members to look at the thread.

Doc H.

Is it not happening?

I want to get the new book soon, im not sure i can wait much longer.

I was going to go digital until i read the reviews on here, and discovered internet connection was needed.

I agree with SL about the costs, i dont think a few hundred every 4 years is a big deal.

I once calculated my costs over 5 years for everything i needed to run my 1 man business (van, tools, registration, books, regs exam, clothing, office admin), i came up with £22 a day (working 200 days a year) not including fuel. I must calculate it again.

I find it rather unpalletable that we have to buy the regs books, the OSG and the other guides so often.

Only scheme members actually HAVE to show they have a copy which might offer a the reason why there is such a small uptake!

I bet that loads of workers who have to commute by train find it a pain in the butt whenever the rail companies put up their season ticket prices again.. (when you still may not even get a seat when traveling!!)

and car mechanics and garages probably hate it when car manufactures change the spec of their cars... 

so they need some buy some additional tools/documentation/software/analyiser etc etc..

just so they can continue doing their daily job..

and shopkeepers hate it when their rents are put up by the owners of a shopping centre...

And that they are sometimes told what hours they should keep their shops open so that the shopping center doesn't have loads of closed shops during the centers opening times...

etc...

etc..

I don't think for one minute that electricians are the only trade that has to occasionally pay additional funds for goods or services just to carry on working..

This is all part of normal working and business life....

None of us have to buy any regs books.. just as none of us have to be electricians..

No one forced me to come and work in this trade...

I chose too...

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen that amazon.co.uk will offer you £23.72 for your green regs and £9.50 for the green OSG. If you trade it in

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to do that, if you are doing PIR's then you would need these in the future to refer back to!  :wacko:
Unless you have the Electronic Version.....then you are totally FU................!

Obviously until such times as they resolve their minor glitches and minuscule, in fact Sooooo tiny that it is hardly worth mentioning, problemettes

Latest posts