Not sure what certs to issue for jobs - i.e adding new circuit in existing dis. board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky b

Reaction score
Hi i have just become part of domestic installer scheme but not sure what certs to issue for jobs, i.e adding new circuit in existing dis. board, or new sub main fed from an mcb in existing dis. board

any help would be great

Welcome to the forum mate.

If your putting in a new circuit from the board then it's an eic. If amending a circuit then normally a minor works.

I'm sure someone will post a link soon with more info.

Welcome anyways

i take it i just have to test that circuit/mcb or would i have to do the whole existing dis. board ?

I`m REALLY not being funny here mate, but don`t they teach this on the course??

I find it hard to understand how someoner can be classed as domestic installer, and not know what certificate is for what.

KME

i see your point but its not really covered otherwise i would not be asking. i know how to test and inspect but when it comes to doing bits and bobs like extra ciruits i want to be sure i am doing the right thing. is that so bad.

There's a book called practical guide to inspection and testing electrical installations by chris kircher. Have a butchers on amazon and order yourself a copy mate. It will help you no end. I've got it and read it a few times. Has illustrations too which are really helpful. Hth

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Which scam have you joined mate ? NIC, Elecsa, Napit, bsi? Cheers

have joined the nic only because most others have done it. thanks for advice mate will get the book you suggested. its early days for me working on my own and i want to get it right.

i see your point but its not really covered otherwise i would not be asking. i know how to test and inspect but when it comes to doing bits and bobs like extra ciruits i want to be sure i am doing the right thing. is that so bad.
Welcome to the forum nick, What training route did you follow? As far as I can remember the standard City & Guilds college courses included detail regarding completion of certificates. Also the Wiring regulations (7671) and the On Site Guide, both have sections describing which are the appropriate certificates to issue. I think some of our older members find it strange if this basic detail is no longer covered in the modern training syllabus.

Doc H.

The certificate you issue is more or less the same as periodic inspection intervals. If you prefer to issue EIC's for every job you do, be it minor or not, is up to you, the limitations are, why issue a full EIC when it is not required?

As a general rule, if you alter or adapt a circuit its a minor works certificate, if you install a new circuit, or change the characteristics of a circuit or circuits (like installing a new cu) then its an EIC.

I`m REALLY not being funny here mate, but don`t they teach this on the course??I find it hard to understand how someoner can be classed as domestic installer, and not know what certificate is for what.

KME
It makes you laugh doesn't it NIC accept him as a domestic installer but never checked to make sure he knows what crtificates to issue.

Yes we accept you now where is your MONEY before we do sounds as if they only want your money and not making sure you know what you are doing.

No wonder the domestic state is what it is.

i cant believe the NICEIC have taken someone on who doesnt know what certificates to fill out for what, i mean, this was something i was questioned on many imes during my assessment, he threw several situations at me and asked what cert i would issue, said it was something everyone involved in electrical installations should know..

you got a registration number and certifcate from them?

not criticising, fella just saying i was questioned on them, and he said all assessors for NICEIEC Were really good on them and if you didnt know them didnt see how you could be deemed competant

I second what switch10 said.

My first Elecsa assesment involved me showing certs which I had completed and asking me various questions on it. I thought Niceic were supposed to be one of the toughest scam providers to join???

It seems to be that the Pt P scams only want the cash & numbers then to heck with actually assessing competence!

About a month ago I had my annual AC assessment, it took around 7 to 8 hrs, no non conformances, deferments etc. he picked me up on a few issues, one of which it took him an hour to find the reg to pick me up on!

I offered him which jobs he wanted then offered him my weakest 6 as I wanted his opinion on them, and one where I know he likes to go for a look see, 1600 A / Ph ACB incoming device!

He picked them, I offered to do whatever tests etc. he wanted at the customers, however, I had one new radial s.o. & 2 machine supplies cert'd in my workshop.

So I offered that we could go back there and I could do any tests he wanted to his leisure on the 1ph & 3ph ccts there, over and above the actual "job" so as not to inconvenience customers etc.

This he agreed to.

So we went around all the jobs we could get access to he asked me Q's & me asking him Q's also.

Then back to my w/shop and a grilling on the supplies I had installed and about 1 hour doing various tests etc.

He also wanted to play with my new meter!

So there does seem to be a disparity from somewhere!

When i had NIC dom installer we too had local companys who were AC to check the work now we are AC nic come and check themselves.

Domestic installer is very easy to get AC is more difficult that is the bottom line

Latest posts