Not sure you'd call this bonding as such....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly did we achieve here? I'd love to know the thinking behind this.

Bear in mind there is just a single 2.5mm earth cable linking the 2 clamps. There is no hot feed into the room, there is just a cold feed and an electric water heater. Every room was like this (kitchens\toilets on a commercial install).

bonding_going_nowhere.jpg

What exactly did we achieve here? I'd love to know the thinking behind this.Bear in mind there is just a single 2.5mm earth cable linking the 2 clamps. There is no hot feed into the room, there is just a cold feed and an electric water heater. Every room was like this (kitchens\toilets on a commercial install).

bonding_going_nowhere.jpg
Apprentice was just practising.

This reminds me of what I see quite often on 2G mains sockets.

Quite a lot of 2G mains sockets have TWO earth terminals. If I had

i worked for a comapny that linked the terminals all the time, everyone knew there was a bar connecting them but thats what the manager wanted and would not have it any other way. so thats what everyone done and still does.

I think this demonstrates a lack of understanding by someone, could be the apprentice but just as likely to be a building surveyor or similar.

Reminds me of the time I was sent out to install supplementary bonding in a bathroom which turned out to be a shop toilet - not only did it not require supp. bonding under the regs it was all plastic pipes! When I got back to the office 10 minutes after leaving I told the secretary that it didn't need doing, she said "go back and bond it anyway!" I told her I'd cable tie some earth sleeving to it... Maybe she works for the firm that did this now!

Latest posts