Notifiable or non-notifiable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esspeegee

Reaction score
Customer wants outside light. Supply installed in trunking around ceiling. I Intend to install switched 3amp 1363 fuse in ring final to provide power although I could just use flex and stick on a plug. The ring final is protected by 32a MCB and RCD.

1. As the light is via the switched 1363 fuse, is the work notifiable? If it is, what is the 'overcurrent protective device for the modified circuit'? Is it the 1363 fuse or is it MCB protecting the ring final?

Thanks for your feedback

SImon

Customer wants outside light. Supply installed in trunking around ceiling. I Intend to install switched 3amp 1363 fuse in ring final to provide power although I could just use flex and stick on a plug. The ring final is protected by 32a MCB and RCD.1. As the light is via the switched 1363 fuse, is the work notifiable? If it is, what is the 'overcurrent protective device for the modified circuit'? Is it the 1363 fuse or is it MCB protecting the ring final?

Thanks for your feedback

SImon
It's notifiable - but I fail to see what that has to do with your question about the overcurrent protective device.

its two questions rolled into one i think....
I know, but he says 'If it is' (notifiable)..........which implies that if it isn't notifiable, he doesn't need to know what the overcurrent protective device is. :)

This notifiable and not notifiable stuff is where the system of Part P fails, all cowboys never notify so where does this help.

I'm starting to get the feeling that if a building inspector is involved then you notify, if he's not then why bother, just certify the work and job done, I know some will say this is wrong and technically it is, but all this b******t paperwork and

Soz. Didnt make it clear. By notifiable I mean do I need to do a certificate, inform the NICEIC, who will in turn notify building control. (that's what I mean by notifiable). If it is, I may just stick a plug on some flex to save the hassle as that will work equally well in this situation.

My certificates ask 'what is the overcurrent protective device for the modified circuit'. I wondered if this referred to the 1363 fuse I will be using to protect the new bit of circuit I am adding or the 32a mcb that protects the ring final I am spurring off.

My certificates ask 'what is the overcurrent protective device for the modified circuit'. I wondered if this referred to the 1363 fuse I will be using to protect the new bit of circuit I am adding or the 32a mcb that protects the ring final I am spurring off.
its whatever protects what you have done. so if you add a fused spur, then its the one in the board

Bounce it back to the customer and tell them if you want me to put a SFCU in and notify it then it will cost x amount or do you want me to stick a plug on it?

9/10 they will go with the plug as its cheaper.

I wouldn't worry too much about that mate

From the Part P approved document

h. The installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of Part P , even where the final connection is by a 13A plug and socket. However, work is notifiable only if it involves fixed wiring and the installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

So, it's notifiable - plug or no plug - and you have to issue a certificate, regardless. :)

thanks. I guess I should know but I only do a small amount of notifiable stuff. I've done it and certified it. Seems excessive to me. I accept testing as you go is a good thing but the documentation kills me.

I'm not convinced it is notifiable.

Page 9 of part P, section I says

The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.
So it depends on where the outside light is and what circuit you extended. If its screwed to the wall over the front door and you took the power from the lounge ringmain it's not notifiable.

I'm not convinced it is notifiable.Page 9 of part P, section I says

The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.
So it depends on where the outside light is and what circuit you extended. If its screwed to the wall over the front door and you took the power from the lounge ringmain it's not notifiable.
Approved Document P is a guidance note on how to comply with Part P of the building regulations - it was written in 2005/6, (Although it has, finally, been ammended to 2010),and it is not a statutory document.

The Building Regulations 2010, however, are statutory and 'Schedule 4' tells you exactly what does not require notification.

The Building Regulations 2010

If you read it you will find that the work described by the OP IS notifiable. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry the BR document is as much use as a chocolate tea pot the guidance notes were written to explain and simplify it for people like us, you will hardly be in any trouble for following the guidance offered by an official document but then people could argue the semantics of this for years as people on a certain other website have for some time.

Im sorry the BR document is as much use as a chocolate tea pot the guidance notes were written to explain and simplify it for people like us, you will hardly be in any trouble for following the guidance offered by an official document but then people could argue the semantics of this for years as people on a certain other website have for some time.
On the contrary, I actually find 'Schedule 4' very easy to understand.

You work down through the 'points' until you meet a perfect description of the work that you intend to do.

If you find the work that you intend to do described - stop reading, the work is not notifiable.

If you get to the bottom of the page and you haven't found a description of the work, then it's notifiable..........couldn't be simpler.