Notifiable or non-notifiable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
approved document P specifically states that it is not, providing the source of supply is not in a special location

so if thats not good enough for you, then i dont really care what you think

If its on a plug it's not part of the fixed installation so it's not notifiable end of
not so.

if thats the case, there would be nothing to stop someone putting a socket on the tails and 'plugging' the house into that

part p applies to fixed wiring, no mention of how its supplied

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see a shower or a cooker run through a plug
you cna easily power an entire house from one of these with room to spare

30236333.jpg

infact, there are a few times ive put a plug onto a cooker during works so it can be used

Add ContentIf its on a plug it's not part of the fixed installation so it's not notifiable end of
Do you have a copy of part P and have you bothered to read it?

I refer you to page 9 section h

Andy are you telling me that if Fred runs an extension lead from his lounge window into his shed then it's notifiable as its the same as putting a light on the end of a plug

Andy are you telling me that if Fred runs an extension lead from his lounge window into his shed then it's notifiable as its the same as putting a light on the end of a plug
yes

part P clearly states fixed wiring. if its fixed, then its included. then there is above which Philbas has said, which also states wiring thats plugged in may also be included

I see were back to not answering the questions asked and not backing up our statements again!

It's not a mater of what I THINK, Andy, it's a matter of LAW!

Where, in 'Schedule 4' of the 'Building Regulations 2010' .......THE LAW.........., does it state that a light fixed to the outside wall of a house, with new fixed wiring, does not require notification?

Andy an extension lead is not fixed wiring either is anything on a plug
I would agree that an extension lead thrown out of a window to temporarily power the hedge trimmer is not fixed wiring.

An extension lead fixed to the fence to provide power to the shed all year around is.

It doesn't matter how its connected, its still fixed.

On the contrary, I actually find 'Schedule 4' very easy to understand.You work down through the 'points' until you meet a perfect description of the work that you intend to do.

If you find the work that you intend to do described - stop reading, the work is not notifiable.

If you get to the bottom of the page and you haven't found a description of the work, then it's notifiable..........couldn't be simpler.
What you find understandable is irrelevant. The simple fact that a government approved document allows the fitting of an outside light as per phils post is more than anough for me. Of course there are situations where it would be notifiable but it isnt always the case.

What you find understandable is irrelevant. The simple fact that a government approved document allows the fitting of an outside light as per phils post is more than anough for me. Of course there are situations where it would be notifiable but it isnt always the case.
What I find understandable is that the 'Building Regulations 2010' are the current law, and that you are using a 'Guidance Document' that was printed in 2005/6 to support your argument........FFS, it was printed during the 16th edition.

I'll ask you the same as I asked Andy - show me the statement in 'Schedule 4' that states that outside lighting, fixed to the external wall of a house, does not require notification.

The Building Regulations 2010

What I find understandable is that the 'Building Regulations 2010' are the current law, and that you are using a 'Guidance Document' that was printed in 2005/6 to support your argument........FFS, it was printed during the 16th edition.I'll ask you the same as I asked Andy - show me the statement in 'Schedule 4' that states that outside lighting, fixed to the external wall of a house, does not require notification.

The Building Regulations 2010
Ok seeing as you want to argue semantics here, name changes made to the BR document that affect the approved document since it was printed and what you think the edition of the wiring regulations has to do with a job being notifiable.

The way I read it we have four options.

1) Outside light fixed to the house, powered by an extension to a circuit not in a special location - not notifiable.

2) Outside light fixed to the house, powered by an extension to a circuit in a special location - notifiable.

3) Outside light not fixed to house (garden light to illuminate fish pond), powered by an extension to a circuit not in a special location - notifiable.

4} Outside light not fixed to house (garden light to illuminate fish pond), powered by an extension to a circuit in a special location - notifiable.

We need more info to answer the question

I don't want to argue anything - I am merely stating what is LAW.

OUTSIDE POWER AND LIGHTING INSTALLATIONS ARE NOTIFIABLE - END OF.

There is nothing in the 'Building Regulations' that allows a relaxation of this statement................or, if there is, I am waiting for someone to point it out!!.....regardless of what a 7 year old, non-statutory, Guidance Note might say!!

name changes made to the BR document that affect the approved document since it was printed
I don't see the point - changes are irrelevant......The 2010 Building Regs are the current LAW and they do not state that an outside light is not notifiable.

and what you think the edition of the wiring regulations has to do with a job being notifiable.
Nothing at all - I was merely using that as a reference as to just how long ago this 'guidance' was written.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:59 ----------

The way I read it we have four options.1) Outside light fixed to the house, powered by an extension to a circuit not in a special location - not notifiable.

2) Outside light fixed to the house, powered by an extension to a circuit in a special location - notifiable.

3) Outside light not fixed to house (garden light to illuminate fish pond), powered by an extension to a circuit not in a special location - notifiable.

4} Outside light not fixed to house (garden light to illuminate fish pond), powered by an extension to a circuit in a special location - notifiable.

We need more info to answer the question
Now P...L...E...A...S....E show me where Number 1) is exempted from notification in Schedule 4 of the Building Regulations!!

Fair play Andy i have read section H and table one and yes it does need notifying even if it is on a plug and an outside light is in a special location.

Again i just wish they would start to enforce this Part ****

Good debate though

Guinness