Nusiance tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swelper

Reaction score
Hello all, As the title says nusiance tripping. headbang

From the meter I have a 100A/100ma S type rcd, from this the tails feed two connector blocks, then a MK 12 way split load consumer unit/100amp Dp switch and 80Amp/30ma RCD from one set and the other set to a Wylex 60 amp/dp switch fuse and swa to the farm outbuildings and my joinery workshop.

My spark recently replaced the old voelcd with the new s type rcd citing regulations deemed it necessary. Earthing system is TT. Overhead cables in the sticks.

Up until that everything was fine. Do I need the old voelcd replaced?

Have not spoke to my spark yet and was hoping to get some other advice first. Thanks.

1. IMHO nuisance tripping is about as a useful phrase as saying a baby's crying is nuisance crying... (they cry because they need feeding or cleaning!!)

there is a fault somewhere that needs to be identified and resolved.

2. The Voelcb ceased to be recognised in 1981 as parallel earth paths can render them ineffective...

So it could quite likely be you have had a potential hazardous fault condition on you installation for years and because you had no device there to detect it, everything just carried on working "Apparently" OK..

3. On an installation with NO RCD devices at all an appliance wired between Live & earth would work..

but not safley...

Once a working RCD was fitted it would start tripping..

But the user would have probably said everything was working fine until the RCD was fitted.?

This is a common incorrect assumption...

If an RCD has been tested to be operating correctly within its specification..

then tripping is NOT nuisance.. its telling you there is a fault that needs to be resolved!

Welcome to the forum

:) :coffee

Swelper,

Sorry I can't offer a different opinion butm that above is correct.

In fact with your OP it could be possible that there is additional protection needed which would be more sensitive than that in plase.

If you have "nuisance" tripping then there is a fault that needs investigating and rectifying.

The VOELB is no longer considered as suitable protection as its function now is understood to be inadequate under certain conditions and it does not provide a sufficient level of safety, thus it should have been replaced.

Some may disagree, but, those who do are probably not sufficiently competent to act in their own right in a court of law to defend their decision.

Please give us a bit more info and we will all help you as much as we can for you to get to the bottom of the situation and resolve your issues.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you stick around as we are all pretty helpful.

Thankyou.

So I can turn off mcb,s one by one until the tripping stops and it should identify the circuit.

I've a split load board. I read somewhere that a TT installation should not have one of these. Is that correct?

I'm in NI so I think its the 16th edition regs here and not the 17th so maybe its quite correct.

Swelper,

If you use BS7671 then you will be using the same edition as us, & I believe you do use 7671 so it is the 17th not the 16th.

This statement comes from dealing with IOSH members as well as IET members, plus the fact that you are perhaps unfortunately for you, part of the United Kingdom! ;)

At least you don't get lumped in as being English! ;) ; ) ;) :( :( :(

Thankyou.So I can turn off mcb,s one by one until the tripping stops and it should identify the circuit.

I've a split load board. I read somewhere that a TT installation should not have one of these. Is that correct?

I'm in NI so I think its the 16th edition regs here and not the 17th so maybe its quite correct.
Not neccesarilly, if it's a fault between cpc and neutral then turning off the breakers won't stop the rcd tripping

Not necessarily, if it's a fault between cpc and neutral then turning off the breakers won't stop the rcd tripping
:Salute

Indeed, in fact due to the commonality of all the neutrals, power from another circuit than the one with the fault could cause the RCD to trip if the RCD is common to more than one circuit.

It may need metering out the individual circuits, but it may also be a faulty appliance, in which case move appliances around to other circuits could help identify faults..

Guinness