NVQ3, How many on here havn't got it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S60TEM

Reaction score
Just a query really,

How many on here are practising electricians and don't have the NVQ3 or equivalent?

I have mine to do but dunno whether it is actually beneficial to me to actually do it.

I work in domestic mainly but also a bit commercial too with 1 industrial test on a factory about 3 months ago. I work with my brother in law who's NAPIT approved. I've got all my underpinning 2330 courses, 2382, 2393 and i'm gonna enrol on my 2391 but in the meantime i'm registering with NAPIT also.

My ponder.......I am self employed and don't intend working for a contractor on any construction sites where i'll require a JIB card but when I successfully attain my NAPIT approval I can carry out all the work I need to without my NVQ!

I know it would be good to get it but I really don't know if it will serve any purpose.

i have the nvq and jib card and although as you say you may never need it but its like the condom theory.

i would say get it over with then once its done its done and if you ever need it then you have it.

Got the 2360 pt 1 pt 2 and the regs don't think they did NVQ for elecs back then.

i thought you need nvq 3 to join most schemes? I would say level 3 is worth doing as it is a lot more in depth than l2 and opens more doors for the future.

i thought you need nvq 3 to join most schemes? I would say level 3 is worth doing as it is a lot more in depth than l2 and opens more doors for the future.
You will need NVQ3 minimum to join schemes from July 2011 mate. If youve already joined a scheme before then, then you have to have 2382 (17th Edition) minimum.

I have also got my NVQ3 to do but think you have to enrol before March 2011? or it'll be too late. Im in the same boat as the OP. Im self employed and already a scheme member and am never going to work for a company (hopefully) so not sure if ill need it either.

I am currently paying for my course which included the NVQ3 but i have to do the 2391 first before I can enrol on the NVQ3 (C&G2356).

If I dont enrol for the C&G2356 in time will I lose it do you recon as Ive paid for it but if they discontinue the qualification then I dont really know what will happen? Any thoughts anyone please

Cheers:pray

The NVQ system is open to abuse and is abused ALOT. When I was an apprentice for AMEC at Heathrow, I routinely watched students sign off their own work with forged signatures of managers. On top of that, there were foremen who both said to hand over NVQ paperwork to be signed BEFORE the work has even begun, and foreman that signed off work that they freely admit that that they had never even seen or put a query in about. If thats what the scams/JIB want they are welcome to it, but that doesnt sit well in My book.

AndyGuinness

Tou don't need NVQ3, but it helps. What you need to be is competent
I have NVQ4 (which I received in 1991) but in my 20 odd years working in the electrical contracting industry I have found that most employers seem more concerned with what I can do with my hands.

I have NVQ4 (which I received in 1991) but in my 20 odd years working in the electrical contracting industry I have found that most employers seem more concerned with what I can do with my hands.
An NVQ3 and a level 3 qualification are totally different what you have is a level 4 qualification not a NVQ4

I don't have an NVQ, although I do have a JIB card. It appears that having the 2360 as opposed to the later qualifications the requirement for an NVQ is waived.

Perhaps the AM2 is considered the equivelant of an NVQ?

To be graded as an Electrician by the JIB you must have an NVQ L3. Unless your employed by a company you might get full electrician rate but if you sub contract usually they pay what your grade is or that's what seems on jobs I go on!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

To be graded as an Electrician by the JIB you must have an NVQ L3. Unless your employed by a company you might get full electrician rate but if you sub contract usually they pay what your grade is or that's what seems on jobs I go on!Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
I take it that is new applicants!

You will need NVQ3 minimum to join schemes from July 2011 mate. If youve already joined a scheme before then, then you have to have 2382 (17th Edition) minimum.I have also got my NVQ3 to do but think you have to enrol before March 2011? or it'll be too late. Im in the same boat as the OP. Im self employed and already a scheme member and am never going to work for a company (hopefully) so not sure if ill need it either.

I am currently paying for my course which included the NVQ3 but i have to do the 2391 first before I can enrol on the NVQ3 (C&G2356).

If I dont enrol for the C&G2356 in time will I lose it do you recon as Ive paid for it but if they discontinue the qualification then I dont really know what will happen? Any thoughts anyone please

Cheers:pray
I'm going to be joining NAPIT asap mate, just getting my jobs and paperwork sorted for my assessment. I have my 2330 (2&3), 2382 (17th) and 2393 (building regs) They require you to get your 2391 within 12 months which i'm enrolling on also.

I have paid for my 2356 also but just looking through my site diary and loads of the stuff in there is just bollox and some of the install stuff I'll NEVER do! ie:

* Motors & Starters - unless just putting in a supply in SWA to an isolator.

* Distribution panels - Never do it.

* MIMS (pyro) - Would just use FP200 now

* Electrical Plant - I'm installation not maintenance.

I've already enrolled for the 2356 since october so i've got till october 2012 to complete it I suppose.

Scott.

Anyone got any cast iron info on what is considered equivalent to this NVQ3?Does a BSc in Mechanical Engineering cut the mustard?
I would think if it was in Electrical Engineering then yes but then again, the NVQ is work / site based not classroom based.

have a look here I suppose it's if you want electricians grade then do an NVQ 3 but it also states that if you have parts 1 and 2 and no NVQ then there is another option to be graded

http://www.jib.org.uk/gdelec.htm

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

But what has mech eng got to do with electrical installation?
Building erecting installing machinery (Mechanic electrician i'd say).

Latest posts