NVQ3, How many on here havn't got it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot be your own QS .
Thats not what my nicey id card & registration docs say, I'm a sole trader no other employees & on the card & other paperwork I am infact the registered QS for my company......

NVQ3 nope not got it, same as others here I did 2360 pt1 & 2 2391 2381 2382 & onc electronics (hated the onc stuff).

Well, how does a good old fashioned indentured apprenticeship & C&G Level 3 quals, HNC, Hons & Masters degrees sit, along with the current updates in elect installs?

Well, how does a good old fashioned indentured apprenticeship & C&G Level 3 quals, HNC, Hons & Masters degrees sit, along with the current updates in elect installs?
Providing you keep up with new developments I think you can qualify:Spam2

Here is the IET announcement:-

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/news/15005/s/New-vocational-standards-for-supervising-electricians.html

Firstly it quotes that it is applicable to new appliacations:-

The industry wide agreement means that a Level 3 qualification or equivalent will become the minimum technical requirement for all new applications for the position of Qualified Supervisor.

And secondly it states that it will not be applied retrospectively to QS's already in post:-

The requirements are imposed on those applying for the post of Qualified Supervisor but will not be applied retrospectively to Qualified Supervisors already in post.

Notice it also states a Level 3 qualification and not an NVQ L3.

Personally I don't have an NVQ L3 and I wouldn't waste my time or money doing one. IMO its just a scrap book.

hi i posted this on another thread

Most should be fine with the 2330 level 3 and not need to obtain the nvq i found this from the eca:

2.1. Qualified Supervisor(s) qualifications

The minimum qualifications that the Qualified

Supervisor(s) must have are listed below:

- NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services

(Installation

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of warning for those that do have NVQ3. Don't be smug about it until you check the date you received it. If it was awarded before 1995 it might be worthless. I believe NVQs first came about in 1988 (I remember Dennis Waterman talking about them in several TV commercials in 1990/91). I myself was awarded NVQ3 in 1991. When I first applied to be an NICEIC Domestic Installer, I thought it wise to phone them and go through my qualifications with them.

What transpired I have always felt was a complete joke. I went through all my quals:

1, C&G 2360 part 1

2, C&G 2360 part 2

3, AM1

4, AM2

5, NVQ3 in Electrical Installation

6, Electricians JIB Diploma

I was told that because I gained all these before 1995, they weren't relevant. I then went on to say I had C&G 2380, to which they were delighted and said that's all I needed. What a farce!

Slightly off topic I know, but educational none-the-less :)

Iv got the 2351,2381,2382,2392,2377,Solar pv installer. My jib card has labourer on it. I think the nvq is as big a joke as the jib rates. Still I'm gonna fork out another 800 quid this year to be deemed worthy.

Tosh!Its Un-Professional, giving false, inaccurate statements IMHO..

Try a quick bit of internet search..

its not hard..

Don't need NVQ3 to google..

Have a read...

http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File2361.pdf

Extract from:-

:C
I feel that the term Qualified Supervisor is sometimes used inappropriately - it is sometimes VERY useful to refer to an individual as a QS, even though, by definition, they cannot act a such.

A QS is part of a procedure for "third party" verification (which, strangely, does NOT require SUPERVISION in the electrical industry - so why not Qualified Verifier?) of work carried out by individual(s) who may not be fully competent in their own right.

By definition, you cannot act as your own "third party" and still claim to have a verification mechanism.

The only time a sole trader will need to be a QS is if they employ other individuals or sub-contract work out to non-competent enterprises (e.g. non-Part P registered enterprises within the domestic sector).

A QS is not just a job title - it is more a description of the role that you carry out.

A word of warning for those that do have NVQ3. Don't be smug about it until you check the date you received it. If it was awarded before 1995 it might be worthless. I believe NVQs first came about in 1988 (I remember Dennis Waterman talking about them in several TV commercials in 1990/91). I myself was awarded NVQ3 in 1991. When I first applied to be an NICEIC Domestic Installer, I thought it wise to phone them and go through my qualifications with them.What transpired I have always felt was a complete joke. I went through all my quals:

1, C&G 2360 part 1

2, C&G 2360 part 2

3, AM1

4, AM2

5, NVQ3 in Electrical Installation

6, Electricians JIB Diploma

I was told that because I gained all these before 1995, they weren't relevant. I then went on to say I had C&G 2380, to which they were delighted and said that's all I needed. What a farce!

Slightly off topic I know, but educational none-the-less :)
So what you are saying is that if you served your time before 1995 and got your C & G Qualifications the NIC say your not qualified?

Who are these jumped up bunch of ar$eholes?

bad day explodebad day explodebad day explodebad day explodebad day explodebad day explode

great response to my thread, thank you all.

It seems that the general concensus is not to worry too much about getting the NVQ3 although as i'm already enrolled onto it and if the relevant jobs come in then I might aswell try to complete it.

cheers.

So what you are saying is that if you served your time before 1995 and got your C & G Qualifications the NIC say your not qualified?Who are these jumped up bunch of ar$eholes?

bad day explodebad day explodebad day explodebad day explodebad day explodebad day explode
My thoughts exactly septiclecky, When we gained our qualifications, we had to know our onions, they were ''Real'' exams and you received ''Real'' qualifications when you passed.

There were no multiple choice either, and answers that required any form of calculation, had to be shown on the exam paper. I can't remember being allowed calculators during exams either, not until the latter part of my training anyway.

Not only that, in our time, the vast majority taking those exams, would have been ''Indentured Apprentices'', where they would have been getting the practical training that seems so lacking these days. As well as help with the theory side of things from previously time served electricians, supervisors and managers.

Afraid the people running these Scam companies are probably not much older than the younger electricians here. Which means a philosophy of it's old it's no good!! ....If only they KNEW!!! lol!!!

My thoughts exactly septiclecky, When we gained our qualifications, we had to know our onions, they were ''Real'' exams and you received ''Real'' qualifications when you passed. There were no multiple choice either, and answers that required any form of calculation, had to be shown on the exam paper. I can't remember being allowed calculators during exams either, not until the latter part of my training anyway.

Not only that, in our time, the vast majority taking those exams, would have been ''Indentured Apprentices'', where they would have been getting the practical training that seems so lacking these days. As well as help with the theory side of things from previously time served electricians, supervisors and managers.

Afraid the people running these Scam companies are probably not much older than the younger electricians here. Which means a philosophy of it's old it's no good!! ....If only they KNEW!!! lol!!!
Don't forget it was an exam based on what you had been taught from September through to May (9 months of studying) and not just a small unit like what they are taught now have an exam and move on to another unit. Time the whole education system had a BIG shake up.

I wasn't aware that had changed septiclecky, ....which makes even more of a difference of the system between then and Now!!! lol!!!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Must mean I'm not as qualified as the rest of you.
Doesn't mean that at all sellers.

But it would have meant that you were far better qualified on finishing your training, and therefore far better equipped to go out there on your own as a ''Sole Trader''

So what you are saying is that if you served your time before 1995 and got your C & G Qualifications the NIC say your not qualified?Who are these jumped up bunch of ar$eholes?

My JIB card only lists my 2381 taken in 2005, not my 2360 taken in 89 and 90

My JIB card only lists my 2381 taken in 2005, not my 2360 taken in 89 and 90
My JIB card (which expired in 2005) Shows only NVQ3 and I.E.E Wiring Regulations 16th Edition.

I guess If I were to register again it will display NVQ3 (maybe), I.E.E Wiring Regulations 17th Edition and C&G 2391, but None of my other more "worthy" qualifications.

I have :

2330 lvl 2

Just finishing up :

2392 (feb) (being taught the 2391 course, but doing the 2392 exam first)

2330 lvl 3 (june)

Soon to start :

HND

Although I've only recently started getting qualified, I've worked as a heating engineer for 10+ years, with the wiring that that involves, worked with an electrition for the past 5 years, had the hobby of electronics for 20+ years... computer programming... logic blah blah blah.... and would class myself as a competent, but still learning, electrition. Yes I have to refer to books on occasion, when I'm not sure, however I do refer to the books and don't just wing it.

I wish to go out on my own... I'm planning on registering for the scheme with my brother-in-law who is doing the course with me (and possibly 2 others, one less qualified (he will have just the qualifications I currently have) and one with his 2360 and 2391 but who hasn't worked in the industry for years and has lost his confidence.

Not overly sure which route we are going to take... But I was going to wait till I and the brother-in-law had our 2330 lvl 3 and 2392.

The main problem I have with the NVQ3 is I haven't been employed for over 10 years... and then I was working as a barman while getting my computing/plumbing/gas quals. (interesting mix huh?)... and I'm not planning on being employed again any time soon. Also I thought the last registration was in March?

The end registration date for this award has been extended by City & Guilds to 31/03/2011 with a last certification date of 31/03/2015I won't have my 2330 lvl 3 in March. So unless they have moved the dates again (wouldn't surprise me) I don't qualify to register on the course.

____

Just checked

Fast facts

Qual. number: 2356

Type: NVQ

Level: 3

GLH: n/a

Duration: Varied

Fundable? Yes. See the Learning Aims Database

Last registration: 31/03/2011

I seem to notice a lot of people putting down the Nvq3 (mainly from those who do not have it)

a lot coming from sparks who trained before the nvq came into place and how much harder it was then, and a pint twenty fags and bag of chips cost tuppence.

no doubt the new breed of nvq trained will say the same about the new qualification thats about to roll in and replace the nvq3.

I studied hard to gain nvq3, 4 year apprentiship to gain 2330 level3, 2391, 2382, nvq3 and jib approved - and im quite proud of it............

well said mate!

I'm sure we'll be saying the same when we're old and grumpy! ;)

Latest posts