Observation Camera in Farm building

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinRed

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a 1st fix of a domestic dwelling coming up soon, the owners are sheep farmers and have requested a camera in an external building approx 150mtrs away so they can watch sheep in the lambing season. Your assassitance would be appreciated in how to approach this, being able to view the images on any tv in the house would be an advantage. What cabling should be run and to where, what type of camera etc.... Is wireless at all an option? all help appreciated.

Speaking of CCTV - Where is Lurch? :|

Still no sign of him.

Hi,

Yes there are lights in the shed, it is quite a large shed and he has made no indication if more than one camera will be required, i suppose if i had the details of the best set-up regarding wiring or wireless it could be expanded to suit his needs.

Thanks.

Hi,

dont have all info at present, it was just a remark he made about wanting a camera to observe sheep in shed while i was marking out their house for tracking.

Will assume lighting will be low level over night and that PTZ would be desireable.

Thanks.

assuming he doesn't want a controller for ptz etc he'll just to have a view from 1 single decent view point higher up i'd guess.

wants to be high resolution with ir capability and obviously a infrared source will need to be powerful enough to light the further object he needs to see.

the picture from the camera will normally be a pal video (yellow phono plug)

you just need a pal video to uhf frequency combiner to insert that video on to the houses tv aerial system so that you can tune any and all tv's into that channel.

called a modulator iirc

Hi,

What cabling would I have to run to the camera, considering it could be up to 200mtrs away, cat5e cable or standard rg59 coaxial. I have read about baluns, active and passive. can you explain if using cat5e how these are integrated into the system and what length they will work well at.

Thanks.