Octopus Tariff which?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris020

Reaction score
Hi

Moving to Octopus on recommendation of Solar installer. Which Tariff is best at the moment, we will have battery around 10kw, immersion Eddi/Harvi, but no electric car at the moment?

Realise that you can choose provider to feedback energy to or is something we should leave until we are up and running, if not what are the best rates.?

Thoughts appreciated.

Anyone want to pass on their referal code for £50 each?

Many thanks.

https ://share.octopus.energy/light-eland-196

the forum software corrupts the link, so copy it and remove the space after https

Can't help with which tariff, I refuse to have a smart meter so can't have an export tariff. But then I don't export any.

Hi

Moving to Octopus on recommendation of Solar installer. Which Tariff is best at the moment, we will have battery around 10kw, immersion Eddi/Harvi, but no electric car at the moment?

Realise that you can choose provider to feedback energy to or is something we should leave until we are up and running, if not what are the best rates.?

Thoughts appreciated.

Anyone want to pass on their referal code for £50 each?

Many thanks.
Hi @chris020

I am also lost with the Octopus tariff. Everyone know the Eco 7 but they seem to be more from what I saw on the forum. Maybe they are referring to old tarif no longer available.

The conditions of the tariff should match your needs. If you are never going to charge EV or batteries at night (I know... this is just for illustration :) ) then Eco 7 will not be the best.

Other companies also provide variable tariff. Could be worse doing some market research.

I think many refer to Octopus because of their active marketing activities and of course their referral program but as said, there are other providers.
Any way if you do go with Octopus, since you suggested it here is my referral

https:// share.octopus.energy / cliff-crow-399

You'll know what to do with the spaces and the URL ;)

Dont think it supports export stuff, but utilita do an economy 7 tariff of 5p kw/h overnight. Expensive during the day, but NO standing charge. I dont export and never use peak electricity due to battery storage, so is far better than octopus go if you never use peak leccy and dont export.

Dont think it supports export stuff, but utilita do an economy 7 tariff of 5p kw/h overnight. Expensive during the day, but NO standing charge. I dont export and never use peak electricity due to battery storage, so is far better than octopus go if you never use peak leccy and dont export.
you are correct, you either have a very good price to buying the electricity at certain time of the day (usually the night) but then you can only export at a buy tariff. Or if you want to export at a good tariff, this is the Agile and you can only buy at high price.

I have not found the best of the two worlds where you can import cheap at night and sell on the agile tariff when the export price is high :(

you are correct, you either have a very good price to buying the electricity at certain time of the day (usually the night) but then you can only export at a buy tariff. Or if you want to export at a good tariff, this is the Agile and you can only buy at high price.

I have not found the best of the two worlds where you can import cheap at night and sell on the agile tariff when the export price is high :(
Also, i phoned octous a month ago and they said they are not taking on any more octopus go customers. A month before this, they told me they were. So best to call them and ask first..
If they are, then this may be of interest: (taken from their octopus go page) (maybe combine with utilita if you dont export much?

Looking to keep your existing supplier and just switch your export to Octopus? No problem — export only customers can earn 4.1p/kWh for every unit they export. Email [email protected] to find out more.

They don't have a std charge but charge £1.02p for the first daytime kwh. Then 52p after that. The 7 hour night time rate is 5p.

They don't have a std charge but charge £1.02p for the first daytime kwh. Then 52p after that. The 7 hour night time rate is 5p.
Thats what i meant by expensive during the day. Only worth it if you dont use peak electricity. For me, based on 8kw a day usage, thats a massive £12 a month max. And thats not taking into account any free solar power being generated.

Edit - infact, kinda defeats the point in having solar! May aswell just have battery storage, but then your at the mercy of the companies if they change prices. Glad i only spent £700 on 3kw of panels (diy second hand) 😎

Last edited:
Competed an online search as to what appears to be the best for us, taking into what system we will install, time span for getting an EV car etc.

Many thanks for all your input, really useful.

Great forum keep up the good work all.

Cheers
Chris

Worth calling them. I’ve spoken to them a few times and they’ve been really helpful.
There are also tariffs that are hard to see on their website.
Eg Cosy is a new one I’m going to move too. 19p kWh 4-7am and 1-7am then 31p kWh except 4-7pm when it’s 51p.
Can charge the batteries during the cheap times.

But definitely recommend calling them, and explaining your set up and they’ll explain all the options and can email you the links to the tariffs

They must think we are loaded down south, my postcode gives
Cosy : 21.19p /kWh 4-7am and 1-4pm. Then 35.31p /kWh except 4-7pm when it’s 56.5p /kWh Standing charge 41.04p /day. Prices include VAT.

Probably paying the employees more to maintain the grid due to cost of living. I’d guess?

Hi @chris020

I am also lost with the Octopus tariff. Everyone know the Eco 7 but they seem to be more from what I saw on the forum. Maybe they are referring to old tarif no longer available.

The conditions of the tariff should match your needs. If you are never going to charge EV or batteries at night (I know... this is just for illustration :) ) then Eco 7 will not be the best.

Other companies also provide variable tariff. Could be worse doing some market research.

I think many refer to Octopus because of their active marketing activities and of course their referral program but as said, there are other providers.
Any way if you do go with Octopus, since you suggested it here is my referral

https:// share.octopus.energy / cliff-crow-399

You'll know what to do with the spaces and the URL ;)
Your spot on in what you stated about a tariff that suits your needs. Is the octopuses tariff a free 4 hour EV slot? So your tariff bonus is free for 4 hours only. Is it linked to EV charger only or can you use anything for free.. .. when I looked at it a long time ago it did not look good for my use,but I had to have a smart meter. I really don't want one ,but luckily I cannot as they do not work in my rural location anyway. Yes we have had several attempts with them.

Your spot on in what you stated about a tariff that suits your needs. Is the octopuses tariff a free 4 hour EV slot? So your tariff bonus is free for 4 hours only. Is it linked to EV charger only or can you use anything for free.. .. when I looked at it a long time ago it did not look good for my use,but I had to have a smart meter. I really don't want one ,but luckily I cannot as they do not work in my rural location anyway. Yes we have had several attempts with them.
Octopus GO is the normal EV tariff, I currently pay 7.5p 00:30 to 04:30 and 29.2p 04:30 to 00:30, definitely not free though. During the 00:30 to 04:30 period I hit it hard charging 2 x EV, 2 x Home Storage Batteries, Immersion Heater, dish washer, washing machine and Tumble Dryer. With the batteries charged I can run all day on them keeping my energy costs down.

They must think we are loaded down south, my postcode gives
Cosy : 21.19p /kWh 4-7am and 1-4pm. Then 35.31p /kWh except 4-7pm when it’s 56.5p /kWh Standing charge 41.04p /day. Prices include VAT.
Just checked on Cosy as they did not offer this to me when I rang

Day rate:

33.73p / kWh​

Cosy rate (04:00 - 07:00 & 13:00 - 16:00):

20.23p / kWh​

Peak rate (16:00 - 19:00):

53.96p / kWh​

Standing charge:

47.5p / day​

When the panels go in on the 19th Feb I'll check the stats to work it all out. At the moment they have put me on Day rate 33.75 with 15p feedback. Off peak may be a better option.