Oh Dear Oh Dear !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well well well kiddy winks what have we found in a 50 year ols houses loftr today then, nice rubber supply cables, with BELL WIRE :eek: and flex (2 core : O)

heres the offending item, wired off the sockets which also were rubber cables

DSC00469.jpg

15 AMP METAL FRANKENSTEIN SWITCH TRIPLE FUSE :eek:

DSC00463.jpg

showing the three fuses and some of the wiring

DSC00464.jpg

if those lives had have snagged on that metal work this would have become a live tin can :eek: NO EARTH connected to any part of this fuse box/switch :eek:

DSC00460.jpg

thats the connector from the lampholder to the fusebox, look how accessible those connections are, this was wired in twin core flew pvc/pvc

DSC00461.jpg

another photo from another angle of above

DSC00465.jpg

close up of cable entry without any grommits and yes this was live and neutral :eek:

DSC00466.jpg

talk about a fire hazard

DSC00459.jpg

and these are finishing off photos of the lampholder, no explanations needed i dont think

:eek:

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

doubt it has more protection, as the fuses were rated at 15 amps so theoretically they could take approx 20 amps overload ish before they would trip, bearing in mind the rubber cables were breaking up, / brittle :eek:

It never fails to amaze me how this old kit keeps going without frying some poor sod.

A full rewire is it?

Nice pics Badge mate.

It never fails to amaze me how this old kit keeps going without frying some poor sod.A full rewire is it?

Nice pics Badge mate.
thanks m107 :)

i couldnt believe what i saw when i poked my head in the loft, thing is the loft between joists was insulated with duvets :eek:

thanks m107 :) i couldnt believe what i saw when i poked my head in the loft, thing is the loft between joists was insulated with duvets :eek:
easily accessible then. well, probably easier to find then in the stairs. hopefully it has been derated for the additional insulation

Aaahh, the good 0ld days, brings back happy memories.

Seen this loads of times and ripped lots out over the years, makes you wonder

how more people havent been hurt.

Aaahh, the good 0ld days, brings back happy memories.Seen this loads of times and ripped lots out over the years, makes you wonder

how more people havent been hurt.
probably too scared to go near it. that or rubber gloves

Nice. Over the years I have seen worse, but toward the end of my contracting days - less and less. My fave was an old farmohouse I rewired which had an old fusebox (with no mains switch) on each floor. All the wiring was VIR, and was very brittle. Worst of all though, all the fuseboxes were made of wood.

Nice. Over the years I have seen worse, but toward the end of my contracting days - less and less. My fave was an old farmohouse I rewired which had an old fusebox (with no mains switch) on each floor. All the wiring was VIR, and was very brittle. Worst of all though, all the fuseboxes were made of wood.
They were just eco-boxes! All the rage nowadays! ;)

Latest posts