Old M.K m.c.b ' LN5940 required'

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljohn

Reaction score
Hi My first post on this forum!

I urgently need a 40A m.c.b type 2 as I have an elderly disabled customer who is having a 8.5 Kw shower fitted in her bungalow. The metal M.k board was installed circa 1984, and the m.c.b required is a LN5940 type 2 or any equivalent that will fit the board. I have measured from the din rail to the front of the existing breakers fitted and its 53mm.

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks, John

MK used to do retrofit kits.

PM me for my method (don't want to put it on a non trade secret board)

Hi My first post on this forum!I urgently need a 40A m.c.b type 2 as I have an elderly disabled customer who is having a 8.5 Kw shower fitted in her bungalow. The metal M.k board was installed circa 1984, and the m.c.b required is a LN5940 type 2 or any equivalent that will fit the board. I have measured from the din rail to the front of the existing breakers fitted and its 53mm.

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks, John
i have loads of these, but there are 2 different types.

is it 6 or 7? (6 has raised sides next to bottom screw, 7 doesnt)

DSCF1474.jpg

Hi Andyc and all concerned. Aidrien wins the prize, its no.7

Please see enclosed photo.

Please let me know how much you would like for a 40A breaker and I'll either send a cheque or do a paypal transaction if you have an account.

Many thanks everyone for all the help, much appreciated.

Regards,John

mk cu.jpg

Many thanks to andyc for helping me out and sending me the breaker I required.

Very much apreciated.

Kind regards,John

Hi Andyc and all concerned. Aidrien wins the prize, its no.7Please see enclosed photo.

Please let me know how much you would like for a 40A breaker and I'll either send a cheque or do a paypal transaction if you have an account.

Many thanks everyone for all the help, much appreciated.

Regards,John
safe isolation comes to mind in the piccy B-)Applaud Smiley;)

Hi, I am new member to the forum and have encountered the same problem as Crystaljohn. I have changed out a shower from 7.5 KW to 8.5 KW anf the CU is an old MK with a 32A type 2 mcb which noow needs changing to a 40A. At one of the local suppliers where I was trying to find an alternative make which might fit, the guy behind the counter said he had the same problem but just left the 32A mcb in place and his 8.5 KW shower continued to work without tripping the mcb!

He rsckoned it was because there is a lot of tolerance in the tripping value of the mcb. I have run the shower as he suggested and it appears to work OK. Does anybody know if this is correct or should I be having trouble sleeping at night worrying about it? If anyone has a 40A MK mcb type 2 I would be pleased tohear from them.

Hi, I am new member to the forum and have encountered the same problem as Crystaljohn. I have changed out a shower from 7.5 KW to 8.5 KW anf the CU is an old MK with a 32A type 2 mcb which noow needs changing to a 40A. At one of the local suppliers where I was trying to find an alternative make which might fit, the guy behind the counter said he had the same problem but just left the 32A mcb in place and his 8.5 KW shower continued to work without tripping the mcb!He rsckoned it was because there is a lot of tolerance in the tripping value of the mcb. I have run the shower as he suggested and it appears to work OK. Does anybody know if this is correct or should I be having trouble sleeping at night worrying about it? If anyone has a 40A MK mcb type 2 I would be pleased tohear from them.
Welcome to the forum, The 8.5KW rated shower would be approx 35.5amps, so only 3.5amps over your 32amp rating. Whilst maybe not the best arrangement, for the short duration that the shower is on I doubt you will have many problems.

Doc H

Thanks Guys! I suppose that the worst that can happen is that I get called out to rescue a young lady shampooed up and standing under a shower without any water- dream on.

Seriuosly though if anybody has a 40A type 2 MKmcb in their van I would be pleased to purchase one. I tried alternatives but they do stop the lid closing as well as making it difficult to fit the copper links.

Thanks Guys! I suppose that the worst that can happen is that I get called out to rescue a young lady shampooed up and standing under a shower without any water- dream on.Seriuosly though if anybody has a 40A type 2 MKmcb in their van I would be pleased to purchase one. I tried alternatives but they do stop the lid closing as well as making it difficult to fit the copper links.
What are you after is it one with open terminals or closed terminals they both were LN but probably not interchangeable.

Latest posts