Onkyo HTX22HDX

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Sparky~

Reaction score
I am planning on buying this for my new TV as the onboard speakers are not the best for dvd's gaming etc.....

I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little with some things i am not to sure on.

my TV is- Samsung UE40C5100QW

Sound system- Onkyo HTX22HDX Black | 2.1 Package System inc. Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

I have a ps3, wii, Virgin media HD and my PC connected to my TV at the moment.... I would like to attatch all through the system i have mentioned if possible..... the wii isnt such a big deal if it doesnt get connected through it.

I understand that the ps3 and V Box would connect to the sound system via HDMI and also optical so i can get 5.1 audio and then i would take an hdmi cable from the sound system to the tv.

The problem i have is how would i connect the PC audio through it.... i had a theory but unsure if it would work.... there are RCA sockets on the sound system and i currently connect the PC audio to the TV via a 3.5 audio jack which connects to the PC in on the TV. If i was to get a 3.5 audio to RCA adapter and plug it into the sound system and when i have PC selected on the tv i would have RCA selected on the sound system then i would get the audio???

Also my TV has a digital audio out socket which i think i would have to connect to the speaker system so i can get the built in freeview sound to play through the speaker system.... as there is only 2 optical sockets on the sound system i guess i would just get an adapter that allowes me to connect 2 opticals into the 1 if that makes sence.

Like this, Cables To Go - Digital audio splitter (optical) - Female TOSLINK to F TOSLINK

I dont know if anyone will be able to help me out but i thaught i would ask.

Thanks

does your PC have a 5:1 sound card? doesnt seem so if you connect to your TV via 3.5mm jack, if not then you wont get 5:1 sound,

2 into 1 optical splitter?????? do they exist? would it work???? I would have thought no to both.

simply count how many of what type of connection is on the sound system, then figure out what audio outs are on your kit,

if the numbers match up then it will work, if they dont then you will have to leave something disconnected or buy a different sound system.

EDIT, that digital splitter you linked to wont work, they are a one way thing, and that goes the wrong way!

like I said, not sure if you can get a "blender" type one, rather than a splitter type like you have linked.

First and foremost, connect the PS3 and V+ to the Onkyo via HDMI, you should not need to connect a separate audio cable as HDMI carries audio too. If your TV supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) you could use the HDMI output cable to return TV sound to the Onkyo, otherwise use a a set of phono leads into one of the audio in's, and the other audio in from your PC via 3.5 to phono lead. that should be all you need

does your PC have a 5:1 sound card? doesnt seem so if you connect to your TV via 3.5mm jack, if not then you wont get 5:1 sound,
Steps the Onkyo is only 2.1 anyway, and if you output PCM from the PC with 5.1 encoded in the file the amp would if it supported 5.1 do the rest.

EDIT, that digital splitter you linked to wont work, they are a one way thing, and that goes the wrong way!like I said, not sure if you can get a "blender" type one, rather than a splitter type like you have linked.
You only want it going one way e.g. into the amp, and based on the above I don't think the OP needs to bother with TOSlink

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:19 ----------

Just looking through the manual it would appear that you can add Centre and surround speakers to this box for full 5.1, so if you play an .avi file encoded with 5.1 on your PC/Laptop this setup will decode surround

First and foremost, connect the PS3 and V+ to the Onkyo via HDMI, you should not need to connect a separate audio cable as HDMI carries audio too. If your TV supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) you could use the HDMI output cable to return TV sound to the Onkyo, otherwise use a a set of phono leads into one of the audio in's, and the other audio in from your PC via 3.5 to phono lead. that should be all you need Steps the Onkyo is only 2.1 anyway, and if you output PCM from the PC with 5.1 encoded in the file the amp would if it supported 5.1 do the rest.

You only want it going one way e.g. into the amp, and based on the above I don't think the OP needs to bother with TOSlink

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:19 ----------

Just looking through the manual it would appear that you can add Centre and surround speakers to this box for full 5.1, so if you play an .avi file encoded with 5.1 on your PC/Laptop this setup will decode surround
well at least someone knows what they are doing.

Robojin....... i am aware that the V HD box and PS3 Do not carry 5.1 sound through the HDMI that is why i plan to use optical from them to the sound system as that will carry 5.1...... i am forward planning as i will get the extra speakers at some point and make it a 5.1 setup.

Also if my telly doesnt support ARC i will use optical for that to receive the 5.1 audio (or can i still get 5.1 audio through RCA leads?)

so if i was to use all of them optical i would have 3 optical cables and only 2 sockets on the sound system so an optical switcher would have to be used i think.

Thinking about it i could connect the wii up to it rather easy as well as i would just use the RCA leads and only take the audio to the sound system and the video side of it to the TV... i thijk i am rite in saying that.

Cheers for the advice.

Robojin....... i am aware that the V HD box and PS3 Do not carry 5.1 sound through the HDMI
OK 5.1 is encoded in the audio signal, both support Dolby Digital, so if you use HDMI, the amp will detect an incoming DD encoded source and do the rest, there is a drawback with audio on HDMI but for all but the real enthusiast it's not worth worrying about. You can use TOSlink to keep it digital, but again even if going analogue (phono) most will not be able to tell the difference in a typical home setup

that is why i plan to use optical from them to the sound system as that will carry 5.1...... i am forward planning as i will get the extra speakers at some point and make it a 5.1 setup.
Try HDMI first, and you will likely save some money

Also if my telly doesnt support ARC i will use optical for that to receive the 5.1 audio (or can i still get 5.1 audio through RCA leads?)
TV broadcasts typically support NiCAM Stereo, must admit I've not checked to see if FreeViewHD Dolby Digital works on the HD channels, but allegedly it does

so if i was to use all of them optical i would have 3 optical cables and only 2 sockets on the sound system so an optical switcher would have to be used i think.
Apart from the pain of having to manually switch it

Thinking about it i could connect the wii up to it rather easy as well as i would just use the RCA leads and only take the audio to the sound system and the video side of it to the TV... i thijk i am rite in saying that.
Yes although you might get fed up of swapping audio leads

Cheers buddy, thanks for the help..... planning on going to buy the system in a couple of weeks when i get time to go to my nerest store but now i know what i am expecting and how to connect it all up and hopefuly have it working the way i would like it to :) thanks

Albert,Never thought you were an AC/DC fan!

Now you're cooking!!!
OH yes sidewinder,

saw them at Manchester MEN a while back on the "BLACK ICE" tour, my missus got me a couple of tickets and my mate came over from the Isle of Man to see them with me.!

its all that goes on if she is out on a Sunday, AC/DC or some bike racing.

:D

Have never seen them mate, love live music but can't afford to go much!

AC/DC are ace!

That is my Genre, though I do have quite eclectic tastes.

I like a lot of things Manator, so yes, saw Paul Carrack a few years back too, was really good,

also saw DC'79 last week sidewinder, in a little live music pub close to me.

would love to see more big bands, but as you say its crazy money,

Iron Maiden would be the other group Id love to see, (along with the "tres hombres" ,but they are very unlikely).

and hopefully will get to see Motorhead (reasonable prices for their gigs) the next time they play Manchester Apollo(they do it reasonably regularly).

sidewinder, I have a full set of AC/DC so if you are missing any that you want I'll mail them to you.