Optimisers are they really needed?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJay

Reaction score
We have an installation going in in the next couple of months and heve been reading a fair bit about the necessity of optimisers In an installation.
We basically, have a roof surface that does not have any shadows cast on it from anywhere at any times of the day and I’m not sure if adding optimisers will do anything other than adding a lot of cost to the installation.
I’ve found this video that seems to really make sense:

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
no shading, don't bother. You are just adding potential failure points to the roof, and you will need to access the roof at some point to replace the optimisers. Now that, in theory will be in about 20 years time, but the panels will last 30+ years.

I would make sure that if there are tall trees anywhere in front of the panels, these do not cast shadows on the panels when the sun ☀️ is low on the horizon during autumn and winter months.

These shadows can be very long.
I have just noticed some shadow coming from two properties away from my home, from a tall eucalyptus tree. I'm my case this shadow is shown on my garage walls, where some panels will be installed. Just last week there was no shadow.

Would I lose the ability to analyse the performance of each panel if I didn’t install optimisers? How would I know if one panel isn’t working properly? Is this a realistic worry?

Analysing performance is the only reason for you to have optimisers if you don't have shadows.

Is the data worth the extra expense?

Panels rarely go wrong, and as Binky said, the more tech you have up there, the more there is to go wrong.

I'm not using any on my system, as like you, I cast no shadows, er, no, sorry, that's an Oasis lyric, my roof doesn't have shadows cast on it.

I personally wouldn't bother unless you're a serious data nerd.

Would I lose the ability to analyse the performance of each panel if I didn’t install optimisers? How would I know if one panel isn’t working properly? Is this a realistic worry?
If you have 2 equal strings of panels you can just look at the inputs at the inverter to see any difference between them. It will be clear if a panel has failed, but that's highly unlikely anyway.