OS for a clockwork PC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone tell me a decent OS for an ancient PC.

I got an old PC in the garage for looking at CD ROM manuals, no internet or that.

its running XP pro at the mo, but its obviously beyond working it.

P 3 600mHz

512 ram

any ideas, Linux or something?

I really am a total noob with this stuff.

Me too, I'm afraid.

anyone tell me a decent OS for an ancient PC.I got an old PC in the garage for looking at CD ROM manuals, no internet or that.

its running XP pro at the mo, but its obviously beyond working it.

P 3 600mHz

512 ram

any ideas, Linux or something?

I'd try a cut down version of Linux if I were you Steps.

Have a read all about it here.

You'll be very very lucky if the Linux works!!

Send me the motherboard manufacture and model and I'll see if an OS exists.

Why don't you use the old windows 95 it was designed to run (ish) on this machines.

and it will easily read and display your CD's

You'll be very very lucky if the Linux works!!Send me the motherboard manufacture and model and I'll see if an OS exists.

Why don't you use the old windows 95 it was designed to run (ish) on this machines.

and it will easily read and display your CD's
cos I hate windoze with a vengance! X(

only reason its on the house is cos the missus likes it, gawd even had a fight to get running firefox rather than IE.!!

microsoft have the most awkward slowest clogging up system known to man,!

bit like VHS, throw enough money and publicity at something and it will take off and be successful even if it is inferior.!!

No idea really what the board is, tho it is old, my missus mate gave it me for the garage, and she reckons she had it for years, at least 90s, guessing at 10yo minimum. P2, 600mHz 20Ghd, sound old!?!?

Real clockwork!

Ok then go here and download this DOS then you have the option of loading Linux from this or if you read the CD's from DOS then all is done.

http://www.drdos.net/

This is a real DOS Operating system a great tool and still used by a lot of us embedded programmers too.

It will enable you to boot your PC and then look at the cd's etc. or even load up an OS.

This also begs the question what format are the CD's in?

Real clockwork!Ok then go here and download this DOS then you have the option of loading Linux from this or if you read the CD's from DOS then all is done.

http://www.drdos.net/

This is a real DOS Operating system a great tool and still used by a lot of us embedded programmers too.

It will enable you to boot your PC and then look at the cd's etc. or even load up an OS.

This also begs the question what format are the CD's in?
J PEG or PDF for the majority, its all manuals and fiches, and the odd language translation program cos some of the CDs are in japanese.

oh, and I watch a bit of freeview/cable TV on it as well, dont suppose the OS matters for this tho.!