OSG & cable routes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magwa the pict

Reaction score
I have been asked to fit a couple of additional 5A lamp outlets, It has been suggested I run behind the skirting this is outside prescribed zones, but does condition V permit this (Page 7 para 7.3.2),

Pict

YOu can't run cables behind skirting boards mate. Don't see why not really if skirting is liquid nailsed rather than screwed or nails like in the olden days lol

Para V States last sentence OR run horizontally or vertically to an accessory or consumer unit so behind the skirting is a "or" Now I personally do not want to, going down the stud partition wall is my way even if it means holeing the plaster board above and below a dwang notching and plating, but the customer wants quick and no other work needed, I just need to understand fully the reg in OSG, but I think also the place less likely to be "nailed" later is the skirting no one hangs pictures or mirrors there,

Pict

One thought would be, if you really MUST run behind the skirting, is to use BS8436 cable - aka "Earthshield"/"Guardian"/"Alsecure"

Expensive stuff maybe, but so useful! I always keep 1.5mm & 2.5mm in stock for those awkward applications where you need `mechanical protection` but swa aint practical.

In my house the sockets are in the skirting, so a run behind the skirting to another socket would be ok. If the socket is not in the skirting then its a no, no

I have been asked to fit a couple of additional 5A lamp outlets, It has been suggested I run behind the skirting this is outside prescribed zones, but does condition V permit this (Page 7 para 7.3.2), Pict
You could make your life easier and use a 'nice' trunking such as 'D-line Trunking' which you can paint?

Here's a link

http://www.d-line.co.uk/

Take the skirting off and see if you can chisel a channel more than 50mm from the surface at the bottom where you dont nail

I think this is a fair question, if your existing socket is in the skirting, then you can put another one in the skiriting horizontal from it and stay within safe zones, no different from doing it halfway up a wall and probably a lot safer.

So you don't think that you need to comply with Pt A of the building regs then??

2C30 Chases:a. vertical chases should not be deeper than 1/3 of the wall thickness or, in cavity walls, 1/3 of the thickness of the leaf.

b. horizontal chases should not be deeper than 1/6 of the thickness of the leaf of the wall.

c. chases should not be so positioned as to impair the stability of the wall, particularly where hollow blocks are used.

I dont see how this is relevant,I dont consider a skirting board to be part of the structure, we could always gouge a grove in the back of the board and not touch the wall. The question is does it fall into safe zones, I think it does if it runs horizontaly between 2 fixings.

3mm skim + 12.5mm plasterboard+ say8mm adhesive gap. Thats 23.5mm before you even get to the wall itself. Now do we consider the 15mm of the skirting board as the surface as well?

OK - back to the original question.......

IF you`re existing socket was on the skirting (poor placement, but hey-ho), then the horizontal and perp. would be safe zones........

BUT......That means you`re seriously considering mounting the new sockets on the skirting? Surely not......

It would be great if these books gave you an example why, first of all if the cable was fitted at the lowest point horizontally along a groove in the wall just above the floor exposed then you know that you have to fix the skirting above this point but being careful not to get the no nails on the cable as it effects the insulation of the cable, you then have to take into account heat dissipation of the cable but I cannot see if it derates it that much as it is set into the wall and will absorb some heat, as for being hit by a nails we have to think in many cases for example light drops are always likely to be nailed by picture fixings, Have seen many times cables run down the side of door frames so may be hit by nails again, as for the safe zones I think in my opinion that corners of walls is a very dangerous position due to the fixing of shelves and inbuilt cupboards, these cables are plastered over and you cannot see them at all, at least when a skirting is popped off you then can see it if the cable is exposed and not plastered.

As for running the cable round the edge buried in concrete this is very difficult and time consuming not to mention you don't know what damage you may do, eg pipes damp course membrane etc.

At least you can see a cable once you have removed a skirting, I personally think it should be allowed as it is no more at risk than most other points of installation.

What do you think.

Mike.

This might be a silly question, but I can't see anything about this in the posts so far... Is this a problem because you have a solid floor to deal with??