OSO hotwater boiler_Issue heating the water

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole_

Reaction score
I currently rent a flat, which uses an OSO hotwater boiler to heat the water but it seems there is an issue heating the water and I thought to ask here in case anyone would have an answer before I ask my landlady to call an electrician.

Attached is an image of the boiler on Pic1 and on Pic2 is the switch with a timer (in red circle) which is linked to the boiler.

The issue is that whenever I take a shower and use all the hot water then there is no hot water until the next day. I asked the concierge in the building and they told me I need to move the switch of the timer to the “permanent” position so the boiler can heat the water instantly.

It’s been a week since I did this, but it seems the issue still persists. For example, the other day I took a shower at 1pm and used all the hot water. I then went to take another shower at 10pm and there was no hot water. There was enough time in between for the boiler to heat the water, but that didn’t happen.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Probably on an off peak tariff, so heats up overnight
The electricity is with British Gas and had called them to enquire about this. They told me this is not the case and I'm on the regular tariff, not sure how to describe this.

By the way I have the pay as you go meter so I think it's just one tariff when you use the prepayment meter.

So, if the "water heater" switch is off then how come there is hot water the next day?
Two immersion heater elements. Main immersion is at bottom of the tank, usually on the off peak, ( although not in your case)booster immersion half way up the tank, or higher. The higher element doesn't heat the whole tank.

Might be worth asking BG if you can have an off peak tariff, it gives you leccy at something like 7p a kWh, but whether that would work for you depends on how much leccy you use during the day/ evenings

Two immersion heater elements. Main immersion is at bottom of the tank, usually on the off peak, ( although not in your case)booster immersion half way up the tank, or higher. The higher element doesn't heat the whole tank.

Might be worth asking BG if you can have an off peak tariff, it gives you leccy at something like 7p a kWh, but whether that would work for you depends on how much leccy you use during the day/ evenings
OK so I understand that my boiler doesn't have any main immersion heater element at the bottom of the tank as per your comments. But, where do you see the booster immersion half way up?

I'm guessing the thermal cutout could have tripped inside so your only getting the power when off peak kicks in. Can you send a picture of the consumer unit and meter etc?

Can I have both the "Water heater" and "Night immersion" switches on at the same time or if I turn on the "Water heater" switch then I need to turn of the "Night immersion" switch?

Are either of the neons on when theyre turned on?

I haven't touched any of the switches yet and have left them as they are in the pic I put on the very first post. So, at the moment only the Night immersion" switch should be on and the neon seems to be off.

Does this indicate that maybe it's not working?

I'm guessing the thermal cutout could have tripped inside so your only getting the power when off peak kicks in. Can you send a picture of the consumer unit and meter etc?
Here is a photo of the consumer unit.

As for the meter, do you mean that one I use to insert the electric key to top up the electricity?

Attachments

• Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
OK so I understand that my boiler doesn't have any main immersion heater element at the bottom of the tank as per your comments. But, where do you see the booster immersion half way up?
look at the two cables that go into your tank there are two cover plates with the makers name , the immersion connection's are under the plates, Pic1.jpg

Would the readings not increase anyway as in general I'm using electricity in the house?

It would but what you're looking for is the change in reading for the E7.

Background usage of say 200w per hour = 1.4 kwh per night on E7 - if you're heating water during this time the consumption will be much higher - say 6 kwh per night or probably more