other trades anyone?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can drive those big go away trucks, coaches n buses, but it can be brain numbingly boring, so I'll save that for real rainy days:p

I supply and install Public Address and sound equipment, which keeps me ticking over during the quiet spots.

I will do most things if there is a few quid in it.

I used to deliver supercars from Germany Italy etc to London ASAP as LHD was about 30% cheaper than RHD but I don't think there's much call for that these days. We sold more than 1.5% of all F355s manufactured. Hmmm Happy days

Well in reply to the OP. Diversification (I hate that word) is the key IMO.

I run my own building business. I left school at 16 and trained as a bricklayer.

I taught myself plastering.

I taught myself carpentry.

I taught myself roofing

I taught myself tiling

I do extensions,conversions, kitchens, bathrooms and any property maintenance related work.

And I've just put myself through 3 years at college to learn electrical installation. I was doing all the first fix electrical any way, as the electrician I was using was a lazy g*t!! So I figured I may as well learn the theory behind it and get paid instead of him.

I basically offer a one stop shop for all of my customers and they love it. My jobs never come to a standstill whilst waiting for trades to turn up and the customers only ever have to deal with me from start to finish. It also means that I don't hardly ever have to turn down a job as I do everything, apart from gas work and flat roofing work.

Oh and I've also got a HGV licence as well, and I drove artics round Spain and France for 2 years in the 90's but thats another story. ; \

I supply and install Public Address and sound equipment, which keeps me ticking over during the quiet spots.
Interesting....... I was a PA and LX chap myself for a long time and then picked up sparky work as a sideline to that! Learnt to be a 'noise-boy' in Yorkshire before ending up 'down south'.

Well in reply to the OP. Diversification (I hate that word) is the key IMO.I run my own building business. I left school at 16 and trained as a bricklayer.

I taught myself plastering.

I taught myself carpentry.

I taught myself roofing

I taught myself tiling

I do extensions,conversions, kitchens, bathrooms and any property maintenance related work.

And I've just put myself through 3 years at college to learn electrical installation. I was doing all the first fix electrical any way, as the electrician I was using was a lazy g*t!! So I figured I may as well learn the theory behind it and get paid instead of him.

I basically offer a one stop shop for all of my customers and they love it. My jobs never come to a standstill whilst waiting for trades to turn up and the customers only ever have to deal with me from start to finish. It also means that I don't hardly ever have to turn down a job as I do everything, apart from gas work and flat roofing work.

Oh and I've also got a HGV licence as well, and I drove artics round Spain and France for 2 years in the 90's but thats another story. ; \
Mr. Really Useful Person, whereabouts are you and do you require an apprentice?! :D

I help run a youth centre in our local town........

BUT...

Thats voluntary work!.. :p so it don't help much to pay the bills! :_| :_| :_|

Doh!Blushing:| :eek: :p:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Only kidding, I been involed with telecomms the past seven years, that market is all seeming to go to pot so training as a electrician. Just hope work picks up for every one soon because its mad how things are at the moe.

I am also a fully qualified & time served conservation stone mason & fully qualified fire fighting instructor (a thing I did with the MOD)
I bet your ace at chiseling out walls and fitting flush boxes, also as a fire fighter you will be very handy if the install doesn't go to well.

I bet your ace at chiseling out walls and fitting flush boxes, also as a fire fighter you will be very handy if the install doesn't go to well.
The things I can do with a chisel are pretty awesome even if I say so myself. :)

Had a few times where I have drilled through stuff that should not have been where it acctualy was, as said in another thread, we have all done it at some point. Am just glad that the only thing to ever have been hurt was one of my old Bosch SDS drills, poor thing sounded like a stuck pig dying after it's run in with the incoming mains cable of an old bungalow. :)

Mr. Really Useful Person, whereabouts are you and do you require an apprentice?! :D
Hello TTbangbang. I'm in the west London area (Uxbridge, Heathrow).

Unfortunately I don't require an apprentice. No offence but I prefer to work on my own. I like to take a bit of time off now and again at short notice when it suits me, and if I have someone working for me, then it's not fair on them if they are expecting a full weeks work every week. Added to that is the issue of extra insurance and paperwork and red tape. It's just not worth the hassle I'm afraid. Sorry:(

just a quick question. With the economic climate looking likes it going to get worse is anyone thinking of adding another trade to their skill set?
I want to be..........

A lumberjack

leaping from tree to tree.... the Oak, the redwood, the mighty Scots pine,

Id sing sing sing....

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK.

I sleep all night and I work all day!!!

ooooopps sorry beer again kicking in!!! :( ; \ :)

In the past when work was slow I've gone back into the security / agricultral & domestic fencing game, hard graft but decent money.....closeboard / panel / chainlink / weldmesh / barbed & razor / lectric animal / salamander / motorway armco barriers....can do it all.

Other things I could do:

LGV & track driving (must do the plant operators licence one day).

Could go back to installing / repairing cellular carkits & phones (vodafone trained C&G qual'd for mpt 1362 & 72)

Or could go back to installing Navtrac equipment into plant/cars/lorries/boats.

Installing vehicle mobile data terminals.

Or (at a push these days) could join the local TA rifles as a gunnery observer.

Been thinking of doing a course at college for plastering as I'm pants at it.