Out of the shadows

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffT

Reaction score
After a couple of weeks, I judged it was time to step out of the shadows and say Halò from the inner Hebrides. DIYer only I'm afraid.

My Mrs. and I self-rewired our fixer-upper English 1950s home in the 90s which had only one switched outlet and one dangling centre-ceiling light per room, on-site fashioned wooden patresses and a metal 4-way, fuse wire and ceramic carriers fuse box. We did involve a local firm to test everything, swap over to a proper MK consumer unit, and finally to connect to the incoming supply.

30 years and doubtless several changes to wiring regs. later, with lungs full of disc cutter plaster and breeze block dust, creaky inflexible joints and a distinct aversion to sweaty lofts, ladders and grazed knuckles we are very happy to let the professionals take over when it comes to electrical changes and additions. Not to mention that our present house was electrically first and second fixed and fitted out by a local electrician whose standards and attention to detail are second to none and which we could not, and would not sully. Take a bow Mr. Donald Mackinnon if you're a member here.
Getting trades here to do work remains a challenge but we've been lucky to find an enthusiastic, accurate and willing professional sparks happy to do what we want.

Sláinte from a stormy Isle Of Mull.

I have lots of good memories of Mull and the surrounding waters and the shipwrecks, usually based in Tobermory but did quite a few trips up the sound from Oban

Very much a nice place to visit. And after 45 years of visits, an even nicer place to live. Mrs. T. was born and raised here, and her family remains here. Now after 45 years chasing a living in the bustling S.E. of England we had a chance to make a break and move. Sure, everything is further, later, more expensive and less convenient here, but we consider ourselves truly blessed.