Outdoor Swimming Pool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay_t

Reaction score
Have to do a PIR on our school pool and have a question on the earthing. The plant/changing rooms were rebuilt last year by the council, they recommissioned all the electrics but the feed is from a PME system and they exported the earth.

I am going to put in a rod but should the exported earth be left in as well, or should i take it out. I know opinions differ but i need this by the book really.

Also the pool itself is an above ground steel framed jobbie, about 12M x 5M and about 0.8M deep. Would you stick another rod in alongside the pool and bond it or is it not worth it? All the plumbing is in plastic between the plant room and the pool.

Have to do a PIR on our school pool and have a question on the earthing. The plant/changing rooms were rebuilt last year by the council, they recommissioned all the electrics but the feed is from a PME system and they exported the earth.
Is there a cu out there too (i.e. are they distribution circuit(s) or final circuits from the main CU(s))?

Yes, sorry, the sub main is from a 20 amp c50 breaker in an old crabtree d/b and is run into a small 4 way wylex board within the plant room.The wylex board has an rcd as main switch. Incoming gas and water are bonded.

Yes, sorry, the sub main is from a 20 amp c50 breaker in an old crabtree d/b and is run into a small 4 way wylex board within the plant room.The wylex board has an rcd as main switch. Incoming gas and water are bonded.
Incoming to the plan room? Sounds like a candidate for TT but I would remove the exported earth. If its swa then maybe using a nylon gland instead of a metal one to isolate the outer wire would be the way to go but you really should wait for Steps, GH, Andyc and some of the others to chip in.

Ian.

Have to do a PIR on our school pool and have a question on the earthing. The plant/changing rooms were rebuilt last year by the council, they recommissioned all the electrics but the feed is from a PME system and they exported the earth.I am going to put in a rod but should the exported earth be left in as well, or should i take it out. I know opinions differ but i need this by the book really.

Also the pool itself is an above ground steel framed jobbie, about 12M x 5M and about 0.8M deep. Would you stick another rod in alongside the pool and bond it or is it not worth it? All the plumbing is in plastic between the plant room and the pool.
When you say they have exported the earth, could you explain how ?

My reason for asking is if the distibution board is in the same building and is only seperated by means of a wall or two then the whole building including the plant room would be classed as the same equipotential zone.

If the plant room is a seperate building then it would almost certainly require an earth rod for that building and the earth link to the main db removed at the small db.

Yes m8, the plant room building is about 6 metres from the main building. i'll get on and remove the earth from the plant room end and get a rod stuck in.

Says everything about council direct services though dunnit!! they pulled out the old services and put in all the new following a rebuild under an insurance claim due to subsidence. Still chasing the certs from a year ago and they wonder why I objected when they wanted to PIR my bungalow!

Thanks guys ;)

Yes m8, the plant room building is about 6 metres from the main building. i'll get on and remove the earth from the plant room end and get a rod stuck in.Says everything about council direct services though dunnit!! they pulled out the old services and put in all the new following a rebuild under an insurance claim due to subsidence. Still chasing the certs from a year ago and they wonder why I objected when they wanted to PIR my bungalow!

Thanks guys ;)
well done mate glad to see at least your going to put it right

would agree with GH, tho why are you doing this on a PIR.?

or is this one of those ones that has to come back "satisfactory" so you are required to rectify any bad faults you find?

I also am happy to start to see some people ask these questions regarding earthing on PME systems,

its about time we got our own house in order before we start ****ging the wonderboys and plumbers&kitchen fitters,...