Outside light PIR straight to CU using mcb as switch / isolator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernow

Reaction score
PIR outside light. Is it acceptable to use a spare 6amp mcb with rcd protection in CU and run 1.5 mm arctic blue straight to the light?

So in effect using the mcb as a switch / isolator if required.

This is just to cause the least amount of disruption to internal of house - i.e no need to chase in a switch and the cable coming to it.

Thanks

its not ideal if other lights on same circuit, but dont think the use of mcb as the isolator is against regs - its the same as a switch aint it?

wayne

as long as it is the only light on the mcb then it is ok

is there an override facility on it ? if there is i would advise against it

think about it,,,,where is your means of isolation for a lighting cct ??

at the board

Dont think theres anything against the regs on it. But RCD and outside equipment = best to have double pole switching incase of faults. Put a double pole switch next to the CU labeled outside lights.

PIR outside light. Is it acceptable to use a spare 6amp mcb with rcd protection in CU and run 1.5 mm arctic blue straight to the light?So in effect using the mcb as a switch / isolator if required.

This is just to cause the least amount of disruption to internal of house - i.e no need to chase in a switch and the cable coming to it.

Thanks
Table 53.2 page 117 lets you know what devices are acceptable for protection, isolation & switching..

3rd row down we see...

Circuit breakers to BS EN 60898 are suitable for:-

Isolation,

Emergency switching AND

Functional switching.

As are RCD's (the row below on the table)

So technically and compliance wise you can go for it...

From personal preference wherever possible I put switches external to the CU..

Reduce the risk of Mr & Mrs ForgetfulOldDears clicking the wrong MCB off..

:) ;)