outside supply (garage/shed)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as much as I like to think I know everything, working this new fangled picture screen button box thingie is beyond me. ;)
What's that then? Your name for the "Quote box facility".

This was raised on a hospital job a while back . The situation was a main distribution panel in the main building, and an SWA cable from a spare MCCB 100amp x 3 to a new building nearby. Someone said it should be via an RCD but the hospital Projects engineer agreed with me , its a sub-main, the earthing in the new building would be back to the main dist. panel.

As you say , confusion reigns ,

Deke

This was raised on a hospital job a while back . The situation was a main distribution panel in the main building, and an SWA cable from a spare MCCB 100amp x 3 to a new building nearby. Someone said it should be via an RCD but the hospital Projects engineer agreed with me , its a sub-main, the earthing in the new building would be back to the main dist. panel.As you say , confusion reigns ,

Deke
clear as MUD! :p ?:|Guiness DrinkBlushing:( :eek:

:D :D:^O

This was raised on a hospital job a while back . The situation was a main distribution panel in the main building, and an SWA cable from a spare MCCB 100amp x 3 to a new building nearby. Someone said it should be via an RCD but the hospital Projects engineer agreed with me , its a sub-main, the earthing in the new building would be back to the main dist. panel.As you say , confusion reigns ,

Deke
ah ha.! said alan.

as its a sub main it doesnt require RCD protection,

but now as we are talking beyond the scope of domestic, and basics of 7671 it all comes down to design.

if the designer of the circuit can determine the safety of returning the earth from the remote building then it is perfectly viable.

my posts on this have been on the basis of a domestic, as only a householder would not think of the dangers about exporting PME.

tho your designer must have had some pretty good earthing arrangements to ensure the integrity of the installation to decide to take the PME earth outside the equipotential zone.

I cant honestly of the top of my head come up with any viable reason why it should be done,

tho I am open to suggestions.