Oven heats to c. 120 C then trips rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have fully designed and wired a 6 bed house and barn conversion from scratch including running 25mm SWA armoured  and 3 consumer units including external outbuildings and lighting to the farm  - I is my own building! It was tested to part P

Was this designed to Part P or BS7671

Installation with outbuildings!!!! I wonder how their RCD protection was designed in to the installation

It was tested to part P by a friend who is an industrial electrical installation engineer. It passed fully with no issues and he said it was the best quality install he'd seen and offered me a job

My father was an electrician with his own company on industrial install . forum ?

So why are they not able to find the fault I would be worried if they were out of their depth. Although it is worrying that an electrical installation engineer comes to your job and says "it was the best quality install he'd seen and offered me a job" says a lot about his work and any work he has supervised

Diagnosing and testing an earth leak on a domestic circuit is straightforwards and I can do it .. but intermittent low level leaks that only appear at temps over 120C    clearly not hence my questions.Perhaps I am on the wrong forum ?

It would appear that you cannot do what you claim as it appears you do not have the necessary test equipment to do it so why make the statement

RCD's are not a perfect piece of equipment even brand new out of the box they can be faulty testing RCD's as little as 6 months after initial install they can give a totally different set of results and be faulty or over sensitive despite being within the requirements at installation. Try ramp testing the RCD you may find it's trip current is well below the 30mA threshold

From past experience general RCD's on circuits supplying cooking equipment can always be problematic I would swap this circuit to an RCBO to try and isolate the issue from a possible cumulative earth leakage of the other circuits, this is something which should have been considered at the design stage