Oven tripping mains supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would want to know that running it has "cured" the low insulation resistance in those two elements. This can happen when absorbed moisture is driven out of the element's mineral compound.. 

Otherwise, its working, yes, but with an un-detected fault because you don't have an RCD on your panel.

Having said that,  (others may correct me here), I believe that until recently it was common to leave cookers off the RCD circuits because they tend to cause this sort of problem.

Personally I would want to know that running it has "cured" the low insulation resistance in those two elements. This can happen when absorbed moisture is driven out of the element's mineral compound.. 

Otherwise, its working, yes, but with an un-detected fault because you don't have an RCD on your panel.

Having said that,  (others may correct me here), I believe that until recently it was common to leave cookers off the RCD circuits because they tend to cause this sort of problem.

What sort of resistance readings should i get from ''healthy'' elements?

A healthy element should be higher than you can read on a general purpose multi-meter. 

An acceptable one,  above 3 or 4 Meg ohms.

As someone else pointed out the resistance can drop as they heat up. (Though without an RCD you will not know).

My theory is that moisture in the insulation is driven towards the ends as the element heats; its concentration in a smaller volume of the insulation creates a leakage path.

Latest posts