overhead cables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob69

Reaction score
i need to get a supply from the house to a shed some 3 meters from the house.The height of the suspended cable will be about 2.5 meters.

According to the regs it should be 3meters for pvc cables in steel conduit.

With posts to raise the cable this will all look a bit crap.

What other options have i got without buried cable???

I agree with Deke

Your the designer, there's guidance out there with suggested heights, you need to carry out a risk assessment and decide whether the height poses a risk or not, if the only traffic which will be passing by is human then id have no issue installing it at 2 meters.

And as above centenary wire swa clipped

Regards chris

sorry was looking in OSG!!!!

just looked in regs.

so there is no regs for suspended cables then only guidance

from OSG?

install is close to a hedge with oil supply tank (for heating)in front of suspended cable.and no access to people so risk is very minimal

As I have said before , we are faced with so many rules and regs these days that we can tend to start seeing problems where there are none. Its as if The Electric Police are waiting for us to c o c k up .

I offer an example that I posted before. In the same week , both me and my mate who often helps me out , did the same job , seperately for different customers.

The job was for a socket in a loft for a TV ariel booster box.

Its how we all think differently.

My M8 ran a 2.5 T/E from somewhere below to a a socket.

I looped mine off the lighting in the loft in 1.0mm T/E .

My logic being:-

a) It was the easy way.

B) The Booster box takes 1 A at the most.

c) If anyone climbs into the loft and plugs in a couple of 3KW heaters , the 6 A MCB will trip.

d) Just because the socket is rated at 13A doesn't mean it has to wired in accordance. IMHO

I think the issue arises when we have to sign the EIC stating the install complies with the current edition of BS7671...if it doesnt then the departures box will have to be used .

..on the point discussed ,I seem to have the idea there is a requirement to comply with ESQR regs when distributing power between seperate buildings.

will check it out if required.

a1spark

I think the issue arises when we have to sign the EIC stating the install complies with the current edition of BS7671...if it doesnt then the departures box will have to be used ...on the point discussed ,
but if 7671 simply recommends a height (does not say must be), and you go less, then its not really a deviation, so nothing to note

..on the point discussed ,I seem to have the idea there is a requirement to comply with ESQR regs when distributing power between seperate buildings.

will check it out if required.

I think the heights in the esqr regs are primarily for network overhead lines

regards chris

ESQCR only applies to DNO. 7671 applies to all other

not quite true

reg 417.3

Regards chris

I agree with DekeYour the designer, there's guidance out there with suggested heights, you need to carry out a risk assessment and decide whether the height poses a risk or not, if the only traffic which will be passing by is human then id have no issue installing it at 2 meters.

And as above centenary wire swa clipped

Regards chris
2.5 mtrs should be ok but 2 mtrs is pushing it lanky people could walk into it.

See what I mean , we're building problems for ourselves , we can't see the job from behind this mountain of regulation .

I don't wish to sound like a rough ass but its not crossing the M6 , just 3mtrs to a garden shed. A bit of armoured, shove an RCD on it .

How would our continental cousins do it , I ask ?

See what I mean , we're building problems for ourselves , we can't see the job from behind this mountain of regulation .I don't wish to sound like a rough ass but its not crossing the M6 , just 3mtrs to a garden shed. A bit of armoured, shove an RCD on it .

How would our continental cousins do it , I ask ?
I agree with you in common sense terms Evvo mate, but when i sign a cert i want to make sure some knowall wont follow sometime later and start ****ging off my work[ you know the scenario ] ,so conforming to the regs is the way to go ,even though sometimes it seems way over the top, so to speak.

In this particular instance,it appears there is only On-Site Guidance based advice on height restrictions - then,so long as you are satisfied that external influence [AG] Impact is taken care of,then the chosen height is indeed down to you the installer

a1spark.