Overnight Charging Times

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athlonoc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Solis 5kw Hybrid Inverter, Pure Energy 5kw Battery.
While I'm on the last couple of months of cheap overnight energy from Octopus my installer set me up to charge the battery overnight between 12.30 and 04.30 am.
This has been working well and i can see from the stats it's been doing that. However I have two queries.

1) The time in which the overnight charging changed on 20th April? I can't understand why. It now starts an hour earlier. I know we are in BST but that started in March. I am able to control the inverter from the PC or mobile app and can see the time setting is set to UTC ( 00:00 ) For some reason it's now charging the battery on the cheap rate as requested an hour earlier!! ( see Image 2 )To temporarily compensate this I have set charging to start at 01:35 ( see image 1 )

2) The attached ( Image 3 ) shows the battery was being charged from the grid. However at around 02:00am my households demand took all the energy it needed from the grid and not from the fully charged battery. Is this because the battery was still in the period of overnight charge ( 00:35 to 04: 25 ) and therefore could be used to provide household demand until after the 04:25am time?

Thank you

Lee

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
To number 2, yes if you set charge battery times it will take from the grid even though the battery is full until the end. I found out even if the times are set but the charge rate is 0A it will still pull from the grid at them times.
As for number 1, is the inverter clock correct? On the app there is a slide to get the inverter to follow your phone time.

My clock is set to
Friday
28/04/2023 11:16:50 (UTC+01:00)
Note the plus one hour to get correct UK time now.
There have been several app updates in the last few weeks, at a guess I would say there is a difference now between the APP and your actual inverter time setting.
Remember to use the slider to get app to follow phone time too.

Hi All,
Thank you for this information. I made a quick change to the UTC +01:00 and saved those details but it didn't work. I'm baffled as to how that didn't. I might have also set the system to follow my PC/Mobile App time which I guess overides the UTC 01:00. However it still reverted to starting 1 hour earlier. I've been in the loft and checked the settings on the inverter in case the control from the app isn't syncing properly. I've resorted back to setting the time to charge at 01:30 as it seems to work and the charging starts at 00:30 !!!!! which is what I want but its an arse about face way of making it work.

Thanks for the other info about using stored energy during the 4 hour night time charging period. That makes sense and now narrowed the charge time to just two hours as it's all it needs to charge fully.

Quick update - I have realised there are two areas where time and date can be changed.
I've been going into the inverter settings from my PC or Android App ( Device - Inverter - Inverter Control ). Here is where I have been changing the settings. This wasn't changing the times for me correctly.
Then I realised you can also go into your account - basic settings and change the time and date there. Not sure how they should differ but changing the settings from UTC to UTC 00:00 enabled me to then select daylight saving and this put the battery charge and time in sync.
Hope that helps anyone else who may suffer the oddity of this.

Latest posts