Paint

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an electrical question but wanted your views from experiance.

What's the best paint to use on ceilings? I've always gone with dulux as it covers well and paints nice. Does anyone know of any other paints which are as good as dulux?

I've got to paint the whole house as want to sell next year after years of going through court. Fighting the ***** ex who paid nothing toward the house and getting (ponsing) nearly

Any advice is appreciated
Just pay for sex when you want it?

:innocent

Cheap paint tends not to be so good, the money you save you lose doing multiple coats. I like the Dulux 'once' - does what it claims so long as you don't put it on too thin.

Dulux is all I use now. Used Crown, Focus own brands etc and they never quite cut the mustard. IMO you get what you pay for but personal preference comes into it too. I use Matt generally too.

I use Dulux once emulsion as it generally covers in two coats instead of three.

I did use some Homebase white gloss one coat, which I found to be very good.

Don't buy cheap masking tape.

Good luck with the new start or marry a rich one.

if its cheapness and good coverage you want i would suggest wicks/ focus own brand paint, a builder we work for usues it on all of his new builds/ extensions and he says it covers everything.

I always wonder about the cheapo paint brands as I would guess that they all come from the major manufacturers . Would they bother to run a second production line for cheapo carp. ?

A while back we were working at Bass Charrington (was M&B) brewery doing new lighting over the Keg line. Trundling past all day were the four pint party cans of Brew X1 bitter then suddenly the cans changed to a darker brown , they were printed as Sainsbury's Best Bitter ,brewed in ye olde country brewhouse!!!!

The Wickes own brand is very good, covers really well even over new plaster and is reasonably priced.

Never seen a P & D use Dulux, Crown etc normally see them use Leyland paint or similar trade paint which if you want you get from a Builders wholesalers.

Go to other trade wholesalers instead of theiving sods like B & Q, Homebase etc

Never seen a P & D use Dulux, Crown etc normally see them use Leyland paint or similar trade paint which if you want you get from a Builders wholesalers.Go to other trade wholesalers instead of theiving sods like B & Q, Homebase etc
Would concur re the Leyland & other trade brands..

we got a local Decorators center where it seems to be all Leyland..

and another brand I have forgotten but its not Dulux or Crown!

Also agree that of the "common Domestic named brands" Dulux always seems to cover better and stay whiter for longer..

and/or is more durable to wiping the old smudge marks off!!!

problem with builders painting it only has to stay clean for a while...

But once the family start living in a property smudging & knocking the walls some of the cheaper brands just don't scrub up as well!!!

And when I last bought some paint, Our local Wilkinson used to sell a lot of the bog standard Dulux colours cheaper than B&Q !

I've always used Dulux as it seems to cover well. However I might try some of the Wickes paint after reading this thread, be interesting to see how it stacks up. There is another brand I've used that has alsoo been reasonable, can;t quite recall it currently, see if it comes back shortly......

I found some none brand name stuff more watery than the known brands, I cant recall if it was from B&Q or Homebase but it was not very good. I Haven't used Wickes so that will probably worth a try next time?

Doc H.

I found some none brand name stuff more watery than the known brands, I cant recall if it was from B&Q or Homebase but it was not very good.
B&Q, it's like water, needs about 20 coats. Worst paint ever.

However I might try some of the Wickes paint after reading this thread, be interesting to see how it stacks up.
I'd imagine in a similar fashion to any other regular cylinder? You could go quite high but there would be gaps between the columns...........

At least you can drink water, or make a cup of tea with it.
Well I did describe it as something else watery but the swear filter picked it up so I had to change it! The other thing was equally as useless though and is generally got rid of.

I'd imagine in a similar fashion to any other regular cylinder? You could go quite high but there would be gaps between the columns...........
Might need to look for something in square tins then.

Latest posts