Part P Electricans - valuable or dangerous?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PartPee.gif

Firstly Im new here-so dont think im being bolshy-just stating what I see.

Have seen lots of spiel about part p installers not being upto much versus time served electricians. House electrics isnt rocket science guys.

I did 1 year of a so called electrical apprenticeship back in late 80's and learnt absolutely **** about electrics-except how to install. They use you and a course takes 2 years part time to get full quals in 2330. Which would give you a more rounded knowledge of everything electrical-so could wire three phase into factories and do panel wiring and all other things.

These course can be done in about 20 weeks intensive-no differnt from 2 years part time-the learning is done on the job then. So difference being a guy of 30 say has heaps more life skills than a 16 year old apprentice and with more apptitude and want to learn also.

But to get to the point-domestic electrics is relatively simple-with some previous experience and knowing the safety and calculus-so I think part p is a valid format-especially when often people have told me a lot of electricians only want the big jobs.

Just what I see.

Martin

Firstly Im new here-so dont think im being bolshy-just stating what I see.Have seen lots of spiel about part p installers not being upto much versus time served electricians. House electrics isnt rocket science guys.

I did 1 year of a so called electrical apprenticeship back in late 80's and learnt absolutely **** about electrics-except how to install. They use you and a course takes 2 years part time to get full quals in 2330. Which would give you a more rounded knowledge of everything electrical-so could wire three phase into factories and do panel wiring and all other things.

These course can be done in about 20 weeks intensive-no differnt from 2 years part time-the learning is done on the job then. So difference being a guy of 30 say has heaps more life skills than a 16 year old apprentice and with more apptitude and want to learn also.

But to get to the point-domestic electrics is relatively simple-with some previous experience and knowing the safety and calculus-so I think part p is a valid format-especially when often people have told me a lot of electricians only want the big jobs.

Just what I see.

Martin
Welcome, well I guess for you first post make an entrance I say!! :D

Firstly Im new here-so dont think im being bolshy-just stating what I see.Have seen lots of spiel about part p installers not being upto much versus time served electricians. House electrics isnt rocket science guys.

Just what I see.

Martin
Welcome Martin

We are a friendly forum.

I agree with what you are saying and disagree with some of this thread. I have no electrical qualifications (physics A level?) but believe I can do some electrical work in my own home to a perfectly safe standard. I even have some basic test gear ;)

At the end of the day it's my house and I can do what I want. Who's gonna catch me? Prove when the outside light was fitted.

I have done odd like for like replacements for relatives (both sets of grandparents changing a damaged batten light fitting and a switch) but would never go out and do any electrical work for any one else.

FFS I have a chainsaw - I can do a lot more damage to myself and others with no questions asked when I bought it :p

Welcome :D

Just what I see.

Martin
well to me thats the sort of talk that i hear handymen say, then i look at there work and its disgusting & dangerous but it works!! its not rocket science to install but its knowing what your doing and why your doing it that makes the difference!!

well to me thats the sort of talk that i hear handymen say, then i look at there work and its disgusting & dangerous but it works!! its not rocket science to install but its knowing what your doing and why your doing it that makes the difference!!
I think you probably see the dodgy jobs but I know I can work to a decent standard, and I'm sure many other DIYers can. I take care and time over what I do. Doesn't matter if it takes all day. I sheath the cpc, mark sw live etc etc.

I'm sure most installations have had some DIY work done and I'm sure often you don't even know.

IMO :|

I think you probably see the dodgy jobs but I know I can work to a decent standard, and I'm sure many other DIYers can. I take care and time over what I do. Doesn't matter if it takes all day. I sheath the cpc, mark sw live etc etc. I'm sure most installations have had some DIY work done and I'm sure often you don't even know.

IMO :|
Unfortunately Paddy some people think just because it works its ok. But that is not to say it is safe. We see this all the time and have to put dodgy jobs right. But that is life. Not saying what you do is dodgy though, god forbid.

Batty

At the end of the day it's my house and I can do what I want. Who's gonna catch me? Prove when the outside light was fitted.

FFS I have a chainsaw - I can do a lot more damage to myself and others with no questions asked when I bought it :p

Welcome :D
Patch they now emboss a year date on the grey PVC Blushing

Chainsaw:O, what don't you use scalpels ;)

Patch they now emboss a year date on the grey PVC BlushingI don't care - I'll get some of the red and black stuff off ebay then....... ;)

Chainsaw:O, what don't you use scalpels ;)
Because I want a fire this winter - by the time I'm through the bark I've used half a packet of blades :D

Im sure there are a lot of dodgy installations out there-had one from a so called electrician myself-which maybe not unsafe-but certainly bad workmanship. Council fitted an extractor fan and conduit all over the place.

Imho if a domestic installer wants to be good they will be and get as much experience and quals as possible.

Im just embarking on my new chosen career and intend to be as competent and professional as I can beohms

Im sure there are a lot of dodgy installations out there-had one from a so called electrician myself-which maybe not unsafe-but certainly bad workmanship. Council fitted an extractor fan and conduit all over the place.Imho if a domestic installer wants to be good they will be and get as much experience and quals as possible.

Im just embarking on my new chosen career and intend to be as competent and professional as I can beohms
Welcome to the forum Gforce.

Doc H.

Im sure there are a lot of dodgy installations out there-had one from a so called electrician myself-which maybe not unsafe-but certainly bad workmanship. Council fitted an extractor fan and conduit all over the place.Imho if a domestic installer wants to be good they will be and get as much experience and quals as possible.

Welcome to the Forum Gforce Applaud Smiley nice to see someone starting out with the right attitude.

Andy. :)

I think there is no definite answer to this question, its more to do with the person concerned and their attitude than quals, or experience (though obviously experience helps a lot). Its the sort of question that can only cause division on this forum which its was set up to try and avoid as per SF. The fact that all grades of sparks are here to learn or advise is the main point in helping newer less qualified people improve knowledge and standards, and occasionally teaching old dogs new tricks.