Part P question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have had that aswellwots the point

saying that i did get picked up on the routing of cables in a roof space once

they would be the ones feeding the ceiling lights in the flat roof extension being clipped to the joists,

potential damage when the ceiling went up from nails,,,,could i put it in steel conduit !!!!!!
What a load of ballcocks :|

As usual, everybody goes off on one without understanding how this all works.

Part P is a very simple and unchallengeable legal requirement (and I quote)...

"Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

How you discharge your legal responsibility in this regard is up to you and there are, effectively, two routes to compliance.

The first is open to everybody and requires that you involve LABC. How they choose to assess your "reasonable provision" is largely up to them.

The second method - more convenient for those who regularly carry out electrical work in dwellings - is to join one of several 'competent persons' schemes.

There is no such thing as a Part P qualification.

The so-called five-day-wonder course that gets so many sparks hot and bothered is no such thing. It is a way of attaining the basic minimum paper qualification to satisfy the entry requirements of a competent persons scheme; the scheme operators thereafter must satisfy themselves that you are demonstrably competent and remain so.

That's it. Very little to actually moan about.

Of course, as with many rules, there are those who are ignorant, those who willfully ignore them and very, very many who think they know them and gleefully spread mythology and black propaganda.

My advice?

Get on with it; do what you have to do to make an honest living, always check out the facts and ignore unsubstantiated site rumours.

Oh and - have a happy new year! :D

There is no such thing as a Part P qualification.
So how come colleges offer Part P courses and a certificate at the end of it all then? Surely that is a qualification?

:D

So how come colleges offer Part P courses and a certificate at the end of it all then? Surely that is a qualification? :D
So people know what the course is? A 'Licenced designated circuit installation and testing course' would cause confusion? :D

It is still a qualification and you have demonstrated competance to do the defined scope of work - but the name is wrong!

AFAIK

So how come colleges offer Part P courses and a certificate at the end of it all then? Surely that is a qualification? :D
The answer is pretty much what Apache said.

But this kind of ignorant marketing does nothing to help clarify the situation and furthermore, the centres that peddle such incorrect information may not be the most reliable sources of knowledge.

When did you last hear of a Part N course for glaziers, a Part H qualification for plumbers, or even a Building Regulations qualification for builders?

Latest posts