Partial shading of installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had a really close look at the Kyocera panel, but I think that you can get into the termination box; so may be able to fit the diode there?If it`s a biggish install, with a few strings, it may be better to fit the diodes internal to the property, on the string rather than individuated panels? finding & repairing a blown diode on the array would be a `mare!

KME
Small installation, with awkward roof, which is what is causing me problems, cos I can only get 2 panels on one string and 3 panels on another. This in turn means voltage supplied to inverter (s) is lower, and in danger of dropping out of min required for inverter should a panel be in shade, which in turn will effect performance of system. Hence I want to connect all panels to same inverter to maintain supplied voltage, but at the same time I want to protect the individual panels, so effectively I want to fit a diode for each panel. As it happens shading is pobably only an issue in early mornings and late afternoons in summer, so not convinced I am not worrying about nothing, but I would rather that, than firk it up. :)

Will probably opt for wiring each panel back to roof space and connect up in large adaptable box.

is this even going to be worthwhile doing an install like this.?

what sort of returns have you calculated for?

it doesnt sound very good, only 5 panels and coupled with partial shading on an awkward roof.

I would'nt open up the junction box at the back of the panel as this invalidates the warranty.

The inverter should be undersized in regard to the output of the array/string.

Is there a suitable location in the garden of this property where you could fit the panels on a frame at ground level with no shading?

The return on this installation is less than ideal, being small, but as it is a friend of mine I'm not charging them for labour because I want the experience and an install for registration. The roof does have a nice big flat roof on the new dormer, but that is subject to planning as it will be above ridge tile level. Longer term, we are planning to utilise the garage roof, but it will need re-building first to make it suitable. The bit about shading was an opinion from an experienced installer, but having looked at his model of the roof, I have noticed it is structurally incorrect - think this guy is a perfectionist and busy doing bigger jobs, so not convinced he is correct, or wants the job???. 3 firms quoted for the job. 1 declined (didn't really seem to know his stuff), 1 quoted for simple install with no mention of shading, and the third (the perfectionist) quoted for micro inverters on every panel, which makes payback 16 years. I'm working on the basis that there is a compromise to be had that brings price down to make it viable.

If nothing else it has been a great learning opportunity, and a real eye opener for PV and problems assocciated with real installations.

If you are going to rebuild the garage roof to put the pv on, then go for an 'in roof' system and he'll save on the cost of tiles as the panels replaces them, it's alot easier installation as well cause you put the pv on first.

If you are going to rebuild the garage roof to put the pv on, then go for an 'in roof' system and he'll save on the cost of tiles as the panels replaces them, it's alot easier installation as well cause you put the pv on first.
Hadn't thought of that - any particular brand / supplier you would recommend?

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Concur mate. If you can handle an install such as that; you should be able to handle most issues, IMO.
Kind of sums it up ROTFWL

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

OK, that makes a lot more sense then,like an investment for you to gain some more bits of paper.. :D

go for it then. :D
It should be a win - win situation to quote some old 80s management bull :pray

In the meantime I'm off for a few Guinness and an early night :z - I've been up since 4.30 changing lamps in a car park before general public are let in. See you all tomorrow and thanks for your help.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Ere admin, that's poshh I replied to 3 posts and they all ended up in one:worship

Loooook it's done it again :eek: :worship:worship:worship:worship ROTFWL

Ere admin, that's poshh I replied to 3 posts and they all ended up in one:worshipLoooook it's done it again :eek: :worship:worship:worship:worship ROTFWL
It's basically telling you you ****ed up cos you should have put all your replies in one yourself to save making the thread look a messy disorganised mess.

Hadn't thought of that - any particular brand / supplier you would recommend?---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Kind of sums it up ROTFWL

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

It should be a win - win situation to quote some old 80s management bull :pray

In the meantime I'm off for a few Guinness and an early night :z - I've been up since 4.30 changing lamps in a car park before general public are let in. See you all tomorrow and thanks for your help.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Ere admin, that's poshh I replied to 3 posts and they all ended up in one:worship

Loooook it's done it again :eek: :worship:worship:worship:worship ROTFWL
we use SEGEN as a supplier 'cause we are on their resellers list and get discount, but it's a pretty easy 'in-roof' system to install once you get your head around their instruction manual!

(sorry it's been a while, been working away)

Latest posts