Passed 2330 lv2 - What work can I do???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S60TEM

Reaction score
I've just passed my 2330 level 2 and am about to start my level 3. Question is, what work can I do now?

I am setting myself up in business and have got tools, a Megger, etc etc but really just need to know opinions of what I can do whilst i'm ongoing with my level 3. Can I do installation work and then have it signed off by a Part P qualified spark? Just asking this as my brother in law is Part P etc and he reckons he'll get me some little bits of work to keep me going and get some experience.

Also, this may sound silly but is there any type of pricing structure for electrical work ie:

If you're looking to go self-employed, get yourself C&G 2392. AFAIK it's only for single-phase installations, and so is fine for domestic work. Some schemes want you to have 2391 to join, but I believe NAPIT will give you a year to get the 2391.

If your brother-in-law is willing to sign it off then take his offer, though discuss this with him first as him signing it off would mean he's taking responsibility for the installation!

I'm sure if anything I've said is wrong somebody will be along to correct me. You can't put a set price on a certain job as every job is different. Base it on materials (mark those up), and set your own hourly rate dependant upon what you feel is right. If your brother-in-law is signing it off you can charge less as you've no scheme to pay for etc.

Good luck. :)

If your brother-in-law is willing to sign it off then take his offer, though discuss this with him first as him signing it off would mean he's taking responsibility for the installation!
How does that work then? Self certifying something for someone else?

Can I do installation work and then have it signed off by a Part P qualified spark?
Nope. What you can do is work for your brother in law full or part time so you would then be an employee of his, and as long as you were competent enough and he was happy for you to do so then you could sign off your own work, or he could sign it off if required. Basically you'd be his apprentice\mate\***** for a while

Also, this may sound silly but is there any type of pricing structure for electrical work ie:

How does that work then? Self certifying something for someone else?
Not unheard of. Plenty of people doing work and having their 'mate' sign it off. Bloke I did some work for used to sign off his brother's work as he wasn't with a scheme.

Not the right thing to do obviously.

Not legal either. It should be reported to the scam involved.

Not legal either. It should be reported to the scam involved.
That's what I thought at the time, especially as he owes me a few hundred

At the very least I would expect the member ejected from the club with no refund.