PATs and PIRS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a scanner off ebay for a tenner. its a symbol LS4000i barcode reader, when I checked on the internet for serial bar code scanners this was listed as such so being serial I expected it to have a serial connector plug. It has a sort of RJ45 with 6 pins..

Now I'm confused and not sure what to do now..... Can you get a serial/ rj 6 pin?

Just bought a scanner off ebay for a tenner. its a symbol LS4000i barcode reader, when I checked on the internet for serial bar code scanners this was listed as such so being serial I expected it to have a serial connector plug. It has a sort of RJ45 with 6 pins.. Now I'm confused and not sure what to do now..... Can you get a serial/ rj 6 pin?
Yes.

Im afraid the seller has not misdescribed the item, as serial is the description of the way the data is transferred not the connector plug type

what you need is a rs232 with 9 pin D type connector. the seawards only uses 3/5 of the 9 pins depending on what it is connected to, connection information is in the seaward manual.

From seaward manual:-

pin 5/7 ground, earth

pin 3 Data out

Pin 2 busy/Data in

pin 1,4, 6, 8 No connection

pin 9 +5v (0.5Amax).

Note this is the connection pins of the seaward, not the connection pins of how to wire the barcode reader, which would need cross connection of the data in/out

it might be possible to rewire it to a d type but you would need to know what each wire of the barcode reader does to wire it to match your tester.

if you manage to get the connection info for the barcode reader wires, remember the data out of the barcode reader needs to go to the data in of the seaward

I take my MFT to celtek in Thornton for calibration. I think the turn around is 2 days. Not sure how much it is to calibrate single items, but their number is 820200 if you want to give them a bell?

Thanks Matty, I have seen an adaptor where there is a female RJ on one side and a male 9 pin and you can open up and swap pin configuration around.something like this perhaps?
Much cheaper here. You could use an adapter, or just chop the RJ45 off and solder a DB9 plug on. Either way you just need to know the pin configuration of both bits of kit and away you go.

Latest posts