PC freezing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen from my other posts here, I've wiped my PC etc..

But, I seem to have a problem:_|

When accessing the Logical Partition (drive E:) or my external Hard drive, when viewing the contents of the folders (first time only), they are empty and then a few seconds later the contents appear.. :_|

The PC does appear to have stopped at this point, this also can happen when opening other programs and lasts about 2-4 seconds.

Apart form that everything else is fine.

I cant find a virus or spyware and it's not the PC getting hot either..

Suggestions anyone?

Pray

sound like ur trying to access you old drive after formatting and installing a new drive?

had a similar problem with mine (random freezing etc) - turned out to be a dodgy RAM
Ah, but mine occurs at specific 'actions' and is fairly consistent..

:|

often got a blue screen during startup, or crashed within a few minutes of start up. but often though, it had to be re-set
There are no error messages or anything untoward, it just pauses (the whole PC)...

Will any of the Logs show me whats happening?

Pray

pc`s are a pain in the ass,i have always built my own and fitted the latest gizmo`s and fastest card i could get.

no more i just go and buy a new base upgrade and throw my old one away. this 1 is massive h drv,loads of ram and cracking card for gaming .. 300 from comet HP. on vista.

y bother doing anything else, people format drives and use the old ram and they are never the same as new ..

save urself the stress m8 .. buy a new 1 .. lifes to short.

I had a problem with my desktop pc, it was freezing, not booting & turning off (not shutting down) for no reason... I removed some of the cards and it got better...

I then replaced the 300W PSU with a 450W quiet running one and it's run fine since..... :D :D

Doh it's going to go wrong now isn't it:_| :_| :_|

may be a registry problem. May i suggest you download ccleaner (its free) and clean your sytem up. Its a very good program and will check/clean your registry.

It will also clear your internet cookies ect if the option is ticked so make sure you know your passwords!

http://www.ccleaner.com/

cheers

hey up, you say your external drive kinda freezes when you access? well i get the same of my external maxtor usb drive, it happens on access to view files and when i open internet explorer, consistently. ive found out that this is just a usb type occurance, im presuming you external drive is connected via this method?? or u running ide or sata etc. i shouldnt worry about it if its just the one off regular occurance, next time i buy a external drive it wont be a usb..

may be a registry problem. May i suggest you download ccleaner (its free) and clean your sytem up. Its a very good program and will check/clean your registry.It will also clear your internet cookies ect if the option is ticked so make sure you know your passwords!

http://www.ccleaner.com/

cheers
Already installed..

:D

hey up, you say your external drive kinda freezes when you access? well i get the same of my external maxtor usb drive, it happens on access to view files and when i open internet explorer, consistently. ive found out that this is just a usb type occurance, im presuming you external drive is connected via this method?? or u running ide or sata etc. i shouldnt worry about it if its just the one off regular occurance, next time i buy a external drive it wont be a usb..
Well it didn't do it previously...

I suspect I may have changed a setting , when tweaking the PC for speed.. :eek:

It only occurs when accessing the Partion drive or external drives or when opening a program that looks at these drives...

:|

do a low level error check on each of your hard discs.

Sounds like there is a bad block.

Open up explorer right click the disk select properties.

Then the tools tab and error check.

(Or somewhere around there)

This will cause your system to do a full disc check when next t boots and bad block any sectors.

Be prepared to look at the checking screen for hours if they are big discs!!

Let me know if this fixes the freezes and the slow response from disc.

Cheers

Steve

do a low level error check on each of your hard discs.Sounds like there is a bad block.

Open up explorer right click the disk select properties.

Then the tools tab and error check.

(Or somewhere around there)

This will cause your system to do a full disc check when next t boots and bad block any sectors.

Be prepared to look at the checking screen for hours if they are big discs!!

Let me know if this fixes the freezes and the slow response from disc.

Cheers

Steve
It could be more terminal than that. I have seen many occurrences where drives have got hot and the spindle grease crystallises and then when the disk spins down (usually if they are left on), they never spin up again properly.

It could be you are seeing a mild form of this and when the disk is first accessed and spins up to speed, it takes a few seconds to get there and that is causing the computer to hang while waiting for the drive.

Ian.

It could be more terminal than that. I have seen many occurrences where drives have got hot and the spindle grease crystallises and then when the disk spins down (usually if they are left on), they never spin up again properly.It could be you are seeing a mild form of this and when the disk is first accessed and spins up to speed, it takes a few seconds to get there and that is causing the computer to hang while waiting for the drive.

Ian.
Now that does sound worrying...

The PC is 3 years old, just..

:_|

It could be more terminal than that. I have seen many occurrences where drives have got hot* and the spindle grease crystallises** and then when the disk spins down (usually if they are left on), they never spin up again properly.It could be you are seeing a mild form of this and when the disk is first accessed and spins up to speed, it takes a few seconds to get there and that is causing the computer to hang while waiting for the drive.

Ian.
* all drives get hot, and the the faster RPM they spin at the hotter they get, it's possible that if the air flow is not adequate then the drive will try to compensate using it's firmware thermal recalibration algorithms, this would cause the drive to pause periodically, but might not be the cause if happening only on a secondary partition

** Well I've been involved in the import and distribution of hard drives for over 20 years and I've never heard that one before, there is a problem called 'stiction' which basically means that the read/write heads get stuck to the data surface caused by extremes of temperature, but usually this is terminal for the drive

The likely cause here is a disc I/O problem it could be down to an app running in background that is causing conflict with the 'file system I/O'. A re-install might be the quick cure or look at the threads I posted on your last issues for other ideas

** Well I've been involved in the import and distribution of hard drives for over 20 years and I've never heard that one before, there is a problem called 'stiction' which basically means that the read/write heads get stuck to the data surface caused by extremes of temperature, but usually this is terminal for the drive
At what level? I have worked in an awful lot of data centres over many years and we have been having this issue for 10+ years and its getting worse with newer "cheaper" disks probably due to smaller tolerances in the manufacturing processes.

Ian.

The likely cause here is a disc I/O problem it could be down to an app running in background that is causing conflict with the 'file system I/O'. A re-install might be the quick cure or look at the threads I posted on your last issues for other ideas
You well could be right...

(A reinstall I want to avoid (having just done one), but if it cannot be resolved I will perform this), so where do I start looking?

:D